Ulundhu Vadai

This is my favorite among Vadais... though the masal vadais are crispy, crunchy and yummy somehow, this is the vadai that always stole my heart. The softness inside with a crisp, golden exterior, with pieces of fried onion, ginger that you get to bite into - absolutely tasty.

Here's my recipe for Ulundhu vadai (Urad-dhal vadai) and this shall be my entry for Nupur's A-Z of Vegetables.

Ulundhu Vadai
Ingredients

Urad dhal (I prefer to use whole, white) - 1 cup
Onion - 1
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Peppercorns - 3
Curry Leaves - 3
Green Chillies - 2 to 3
Salt, to taste
Oil , for deep frying

Method

1. Soak Urad dhal for minimum 2-3 hrs in the refrigerator or overnight 

2. Finely chop an onion

3. Finely chop green chillies, ginger and curry leaves

4. Drain and grind the urad dhal (preferably in a grinder - it's better than a mixie) with as little water as possible. It should be soft arend fluffy, just like when we grind for idlis. Adding a sprinkle of rice flour if it is too watery helps. 

5. Just before frying, add to the batter onions, g. chillies, curry leaves, ginger, salt. The peppercorns can be ground or added whole.

6. Make round patties of these on a cling wrap sheet that has been wet (wet your hands as well so it doesn't stick to your hand)... make a small hole in the middle

7. Slide into hot oil carefully and deep fry these on medium heat until golden brown.

8. Drain on paper towels and serve.

Comments

  1. I love this vadai too. You done an excellent job.

    Ramya

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an excellent recipe.
    gopi from kerala.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks little burnt,,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lavanya,

    Your vadais look yummy!

    I am Anu from My Scrawls. I have posted my version of ulundhu vadai in my blog. Do have a look at it when u get time. Would be happy to receive your comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts