Eggless Chocolate Cake

Originally Posted on June 25th 2006

Today being my mother-in-law's birthday, I decided to bake a cake but wanted an eggless version since I haven't included eggs yet as part of my recent 'Elimination Diet' - so i was browsing through several recipes in search of a good one. I don't easily trust all recipes and prefer those that have comments after people have tried them - unfortunately, today i couldn't find any that matched my criteria. So i had to take my chances with this recipe that I came across, but we were amazed at the result. For an eggless, butterless cake the end product was a very moist, light cake but without the icing it wasn't too sweet - so you may want to increase the sugar in the cake if you want it sweeter.

Here's the recipe :

EGGLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE

Ingredients
225g/ Half lb plain flour
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g/5oz caster sugar
63ml/2 fl oz vegetable oil
150ml water
1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the icing:
113g/4oz icing sugar
13g/ Half oz unsweetened cocoa powder
38g/one and a half oz butter, diced
3 tbsp milk

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl and stir in the sugar.

2. Combine all the wet ingredients in another bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients all at once and beat with a whisk until smooth.

3. Pour the batter into a greased 8 inch square cake pan and bake for about 20 mins or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean (place a sheet of foil over the top of the cake if it becomes too dark). Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.

4. To make the icing: sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl and make a well in the centre.

5. Gently heat the butter and milk until the butter has melted, then pour into the well in the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.

6. Beat with a wooden spoon until the icing has cooled and thickened slightly. Spread the icing over the top and sides of the cake.

Here are some snaps of how the cake turned out for us.



















Comments

  1. Hi Laavanya, first time on your blog :) ...I wud like to try ur eggless cake, i have tried many of the eggless versions and i only see substitutions for egg like tofu which i am not so fond of , and another time, my cake did not rise at all, it was sticky and gooey mess, did ur cake rise well? Was it like the rest of the cakes? any difference in texture? should there be something i should be careful while making eggless?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know its too much questions, sorry, thing is my cousin is allergic to eggs and i am looking forward tp surprise her and my father-in-law who are vegetarians :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for the late response...
    Coming to your question this cake had a pretty good texture and was not sticky at all. We were pleasantly surprised infact.
    Do give this a try and let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,

    cake looks delicious!
    I don't really like hershey's cocoa powder. which one did you use?

    thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi laavanya bloggin in 4 first time found the eggless choco cake recepie really lovely my advice before u put any icing wet ur cake with diluted rum and sugar syrup will make a world of difference then add the icing u'll enjoy it
    need sum help on chocelate making
    ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. my cakes never turn out good in the convection mode that i use in the microwave it simply forms a hard outer crust while the inner is all gooey but ine the otg it turns out superb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks rich and tempting... Sure will give it a try.
    Do check out My culinary Trial room

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts