Originally posted 17th July 2006
Most people find Tofu pretty bland and my husband is no exception - but this, he loves. It resembles scrambled eggs and infact it tricked a few of his friends too into thinking it was egg. The trick is to cook the tofu well till all the sogginess disappears. This is a very versatile recipe and you can change the vegetables to your liking. I've substituted finely chopped broccoli for mushrooms and so on...
1 pack of Firm Tofu
1 big onion, chopped
1 big carrot ,shredded
6 mushrooms, chopped
1 small capsicum (green or red bell pepper) chopped
1/2 tomato chopped
red chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt to taste
1. Wrap Tofu in several sheets of tissue and press down with a weight to drain. Crumble it.
2. In oil, saute onions, then add bell peppers and allow to brown a bit
3. Next, add mushrooms, shredded carrot and once that cooks down, add tomatoes and salt.
4. Now add turmeric powder and chilly powder and saute well.
5. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the crumbled tofu and fry for 20 minutes - stirring occasionally.
6. Make sure the tofu dries up and is cooked well.
Serve with bread or as a side for rice.