Tomato Kurma

This Tomato Kurma immediately brings back memories of my childhood holidays spent in Trivandrum with my cousins... My (Jyothi) periamma used to make these with Idlis and it was a wonderful change from the chutneys that were the usual accompaniment. I was pleasantly surprised to read a recipe on Mallika Badrinath's book, which sounded a lot like my periamma's recipe - so I tried it, with a few, slight modifications and it hit the nail on the head. We love it! I suppose it would be good with chappathis as well but I've always served this with soft, spongy, idlis.

This is also my entry for Nupur's A-Z of Indian Vegetables.

TOMATO KURMA


Ingredients
Onions - 2 medium, chopped
Tomatoes - 2-3 Large, chopped
Garlic - 2 to 3 cloves, chopped (optional)
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Aniseeds (sombu) or Cumin - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Cloves - 1
Cinnamon - 1/4 inch piece
To Grind:
Coconut - 2 tbsp
Cashewnuts - 6 to 7
Poppy seeds (khasa khasa) - 2 tsp
Red Chillies - 4 to 5
Green Chillies - 3
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1/2 tsp or to taste
Garam Masala powder - 1/2 tsp

Method:
1. Heat oil in a pan, season with aniseeds or cumin, cloves, cinnamon and curry leaves
2. Add finely cut onions and garlic. Fry till golden brown.
3. Add the tomatoes and salt and fry for a few more minutes
4. Add the ground masala paste and saute for just a minute more.
5. Add sufficient water and allow the gravy to boil for about 10-15 minutes.
6. When the gravy is thick enough, remove from fire and serve.

Comments

Popular Posts