Bread Cups with Creamy Vegetables

Here's a tasty breakfast dish - perfect for weekends. It's pretty healthy and wholesome too with whole wheat bread, vegetables and cheese.

I originally got this recipe from Tarladalal's website which I have modified a bit to suit my taste. I've made this many a time and its popularity hasn't decreased an ounce.

This is my entry for Trupti's Spice it up! for WBB-12

BREAD CUPS with CREAMY VEGETABLES

Ingredients

For the bread cups:
Whole wheat bread – 8 slices
Low fat butter or tub style margarine – 1 to 2 tbsp, melted

For the filling:
Frozen mixed vegetables - 1½ cups, cooked (I put it in the microwave)
Onion - 3 tablespoons, chopped
Green Bell pepper - 3 tablespoons, chopped
Green Chillies - 2 teaspoons, finely chopped
Low fat milk – 1 cup
Cornstarch – 1 tbsp
Olive oil – 1 tsp
Salt and pepper to taste

For baking:
Low fat pepper jack cheese - 1/4 cup, grated




Method:

For the bread cups:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Remove the crust from the bread slices
Wrap them in a cheese or muslin cloth and steam them for 5-7 minutes (I use a pressure cooker without the whistle). This makes them soft and pliable.
Roll them out a little and press into the cavities of a muffin tray which is greased lightly with butter
Brush with melted butter and bake for 10 minutes or until crisp and golden

For the filling:
Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté till golden brown
Add the chopped bell pepper and jalapenos and fry for 1 minute
Add the cooked vegetables, cornstarch, salt, then add milk and cook till the mixture thickens. Add pepper, if desired, to taste
Fill a little of this mixture in each bread cup, sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 5-10 mintues until the cheese melts.
Serve hot

Comments

  1. Looks like beautiful little tarts!:))
    Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so pretty! I like that filling in there the most...thanks so much for participating~

    trupti

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is so versatile.. You can top anything into those bread cups...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laavanya,

    First time commenting here; Your bread cups look very tasty;very novel and original recipe.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow what a great idea with breads and cheese ... delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. new twist to good old sandwitches:) looks like small savoury tarts n very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Asha and Trupti.

    Suganya, yes this is a very versatile recipe but almost always I've made it with this filling since we love it. Do give it a try and let me know.

    Thanks Nalini & Roopa. When I first saw the steps for the breadcup I was a bit skeptical but they were very easy to make.

    Hi Sia, Yes.. and they are transportable and non-drippy too. The cup holds the filling well because it's crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! that sure is yummy & quick to make. now, can i do it just by sprinkling some water on bread to moisten it or is steaming a must?
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Richa, I can't say if sprinkling with water will work - maybe you ought to try it with one slice first and see if it does the trick! :) Good luck. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow...how very creative...great snack...thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. i bet those are yummy. its on my to-make-list. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will try this tonight for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where do u get these ideas :) Very creative :) ...I will try these, have a lot of whole wheat bread left here..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very innovative recipe. Love the concept of baking the rolls.
    You could link it my new event :

    New Year - New Dish

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts