This is a lovely variation to the usual sandwiches and makes for a yummy breakfast. Since the veggies are grated or chopped very small, the cooking time is really fast and yet they retain a slight crunch. Any cheese would work but since I only had cream cheese, I used that and the creamy contrast to the crisped up toasts was great.
CREAMY VEGGIE TOAST
Whole wheat bread - 5 to 6 slices
Carrot - 1 small, grated (about half cup)
Potato - 1 small / half big, grated
Capsicum - half of a medium one, chopped finely
Cabbage - quarter cup, chopped finely
Tomato - half, chopped
Sriracha chilli sauce - 1/2 tsp
Sambar powder - 1/2 tsp
All purpose flour - 1 tbsp
Margarine / Butter - half tbsp
Cream cheese (or any other cheese) - 2 oz (softened/shredded)
Milk - 2/3 cup
Salt & Pepper - to taste
1) Heat margarine in a pan and add the cabbage, carrot, capsicum, potato and saute for about 4 to 5 minutes till crisp-tender.
2) Add the tomato, salt and chilli powder and cook some more. Now add the flour and when completely mixed, pour in the milk and cook on a medium flame.
3) To this add, sriracha chilli sauce, if preferred, and the cheese & black pepper as necessary. Let it boil and keep stirring until it thickens & has a creamy consistency.
4) Allow this mixture to cool for a while. I used the time to whip up a Strawberry-Banana smoothie to go with this for our breakfast.
5) Preheat the oven to 400F. Slather on the creamy veggies onto the toasts evenly and place them on a baking sheet. Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes till the toasts turn crisp. Serve hot for a yummy breakfast.
Also check out:
Bread Cups with Creamy Vegetables