Bombay Toast

My friend used to bring golden slices of Bombay / French toast for lunch and it was rather popular amongst us... she always had yummy, different lunch/snack items - like waffles, pooris with a kheer (very new to me since at home my mom always made channa or potato curry), date biscuits etc. Since my 2 yr old prefers to have soft food items so it's easier for her to chew quickly, I usually give her melted cheese on bread, dosa or idli with rasam/sambar, upmas with yogurt etc. for breakfast... Decided to try Bombay toast and was rather happy when she liked it since the egg-milk mixture makes it very moist.

BOMBAY TOAST
Ingredients:
Whole wheat Bread - 1 slice
Egg - 1
Milk - 2 to 3 tbsp (I used whole milk since it was for her)
Sugar - abt 1 tbsp or to taste
Butter / Ghee - 1 tsp

Method:
1) In a shallow wide bowl, beat the egg, sugar and milk till combined and slightly frothy.

2) Heat a pan/griddle on medium. Soak the bread in the egg-milk mixture for about 30 seconds on each side until most of the mixture is absorbed. I had about a tbsp or two remaining.

3) Melt the butter on the pan and put the soaked bread on it. Lower the flame so it will cook through completely. Pour the leftover egg-milk mixture on the bread slice (it will all be absorbed when cooked).

4) Cook until golden brown on one side, flip over and cook the other side as well until completely done.

Cut into cubes and serve with fruit & milk (I served with apple slices & some dried cranberries )


I would like to send this as my entry to WBB-Combination Breakfast hosted by Latha of Masala Magic this month. WBB is the brainchild of Nandita.

Comments

  1. Bombay toast is everyone's favorite..your version looks gud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bombay toast sounds new to me...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those looks so cute... Bombay toast my fav.... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a suprise for you in my blog. Click here to know what the suprise is, http://kitchenflavours.blogspot.com/2008/07/fruit-chaat.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check my blog there is a surprise for you in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kid's fav Lavanya...Looks yummm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the whole plate :) great Bopmbay toast

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks awsome...nice breakfast item...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your version of bombay toast is great. Everyone would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wat a concidence Laavanya.I made this for breakfast this morning..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting breakfast..

    btw, I am hosting Sunday snacks event.. would appreciate if you can come up something

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lavs,
    yesterday only me n hubby were havg a long conversation abt the food, I got to prepare for my kid(he will be going to preschool from next week)for breakfast and lunch.And here it is..Cookery corner is always handy dear

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome and delicious toast.....My favorite too....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bombay Toast's are the one's that helped me to survive during my college days..Very apt one for kid's..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Laavanya. Although not looking forward to all the mess, I am sure I will love the new kitchen when it's over.
    Guess what? They told me it will take 4-6 weeks for the kitchen to be ready once they start, I should save my Microwave somewhere all that time. So, your beautiful toast will help us a lot in coming future and some microwavable stuff from Sri's round ups too!:)

    Hugs to you, keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice display...bombay toast, I totally forgot that such a thing exists.

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes, bombay everything tastes good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow..looks like I could try these tasty easy toast for my one year old too.:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts