Vellam Aval

This Vellam (jaggery) a.k.a Sweet aval is something that my MIL makes for breakfast along with a spicy-coconutty version and my husband loves them both. This is very different from the ones that I grew up with because my paati would make a puli aval upma where the aval (beaten rice flakes) is soaked in tamarind water and then mixed with seasonings and finely chopped shallots - I simply loved that. Thanks to a neighbour who lived in several parts of N. India (because her dad was in the Indian army), I got to enjoy bowlfuls of Batata Poha as a kid. I must say that the savoury versions of aval are my favorite but the sweet aval also makes an apperance every once in a while at home because of my husband's sweet tooth.

I added some crushed ginger to the jaggery syrup because I think ginger & jaggery work well together but that is entirely optional and not something my MIL does. The ghee also is not a necessity and it tastes just as good without it.

VELLAM AVAL


Ingredients:
Thick Aval / Poha (Beaten Rice flakes) - 1.5 level cups
Jaggery - 6 small cubes, crushed
Ginger - half inch piece, crushed
Cardamom - 1 or 2, powdered
Water - 1 to 2 tbsp
Coconut - 2 to 3 tbsp, grated
Ghee - 1 tsp (optional)

Method:
1) Wash the aval and drain almost all the water (1 or 2 tsp at the bottom is okay). Let it rest for about 10-15 minutes and fluff it gently. It would've softened by this time.

2) In a saucepan, add crushed jaggery, ginger and 1 or 2 spoons of water and allow to melt on a medium flame. When it has melted completely, allow to boil for a few minutes and pour through a sieve & discard the impurities, if any.

3) Return to the sauce pan, add the aval and gently fold (a silicone spatula works great). Finally add the grated coconut, sprinkle the powdered cardamom and ghee, if using and switch off the stove. Sweet aval is now ready to serve.

***************************************************
Srivalli is organizing a fundraiser (Donate for Heart) to help Lakshmi, a mother of two who needs heart surgery as soon as possible. Your support to help this family is greatly appreciated. Please visit Srivalli's site for details & how to contribute. Thank you.

Comments

  1. I make with sugar instead of jaggery..Looks healthy Lavanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too make this with sugar and little milk..Will try the jaggery version sometime

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had this one :) Looks quick sweet treat

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so simple. How can I not make it now... sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, I was debating a lot about whether to put it up in the first place! Then I gathered the courage to post the drawing. I am almost done, and somehow I am the one who is still laughing.. The horses just dont seem right to me. They look so wierd. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you on the savoury pohas Laavs, but I will make this sweet version for my kiddo.
    Do share your paati's puli aval upma recipe, I have never tried it and it sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. seriously jeeves would love this too...i am like u laav..prefer the salty to the sweet :)

    Rajitha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not had too many aval dishes and haven't even heard of this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ehhehee...I made this for Janmasthami yesterday. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too make this janmashatami..though this time I made adding sugar and nuts for a change..i love this jaggery version anytime..

    ReplyDelete
  11. we too make the same thing .. adding cardamom & ginger is now to me.. looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never had this one . Looks quick and delicious sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me too make this with liitle milk and jaggery, urs look amazing, yummmmm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmm....must be tasting delicious! I love the addition of ginger in this...mus be giving it a nice kick.

    ReplyDelete
  15. delicious sweet treat with poha! thanks for the simple, yummy recipe Laavanya!

    ReplyDelete
  16. v too make it the same ...but did not tried adding ginger..will try next time....and also the spicy aval adding coconut,green chilli and salt...tht too taste amazing..

    ReplyDelete
  17. i have posted an almost similar recipe except that i don't add ginger.. interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are rocking lavanya, with such nice traditional sweets.. :) This is a new recipe to me, but can feel the taste from your picture..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Kamala and Divya - sugar and milk must make for a nice combination too.

    Cham - it sure is. Thx.

    Thanks divya :) Am glad you posted - can't wait to see when it's all finished.

    Delhibelle, that is my absolute favorite.. will remember to take pics next time and post it.

    Rajitha - :) How have you been?

    Sra, my MIL makes it more often than my mom.. is a yummy breakfast option.

    LG - what a coincidence. Thanks for dropping by.

    Sowmya - haven't tried adding nuts that must give it a nice crunch too.

    VP - they just give it a nice touch... :)

    Thank you Sireesha, Madhavi, Tee & Uma.

    Suma - yes that one is really good but don't make it very often since it needs a lot of coconut! :)

    Nags, i like the touch it gives.

    Thanks Sujatha.

    Kitchen flavours - i'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. d-lish! like jaggery based dishes :) did u say ghee is optional ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. a small treat for u in my blog..collect it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love vellam aval. It's so simple to prepare, and tastes delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vellam avul is a new one for me, I too, am familiar with puli avul- good one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Never knew there is vellam version of aval too...this is interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey lavs thats my fav one :),but use sugar and omit ginger...I am gonna try this...lovely..and one of friend came to ur blog from mine itseems and yesterday she cald me up and said that u have very good recipe collection and it seems each and every recipe tempts her to make it...Good job yaar :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice one laavanya. I prefer this to our regular kesari. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  27. I never knew one can make with jaggary too! I make with sugar but thats more a payasam right...but nice one..will try it sometime..but do share your puli poha..that sounds interesting!

    Abd thanks for the support laavanya..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks delicious...I just made vellam aval last weekend, although I prefer the savory version of it too:)
    Looking forward to seeing your version (or rather your paatti's) of puli aval :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey!
    I have tagged you for a Meme, check out my blog under the latest post today.
    Have fun doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. looks yummy... whoa!tempting to eat from ur plate itself.......

    ReplyDelete
  31. looks delicious... tempting to eat from ur plate itself...... whoa....

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts