Theeyal

My warm wishes on Onam to everyone. Our malayali neighbour back home used to serve us Onam Sadya every year and I loved all the dishes, especially the chakka pradhaman - thanks Usha aunty.

Well, in view of Onam being celebrated today, I would like to post a recipe from Kerala - Theeyal. I simply love theeyal... always have. Shobana periamma makes a really good version of it and would always make it when I visited Trivandrum during my summer holidays... This is her recipe though my mother-in-law's version is also similar. This can be made with quite a few vegetables but I make it with black channa. It tastes great with rice or even Puttu.
Those who like vathal kuzhambu will love this too.

THEEYAL (with Black Channa)

Ingredients:

Black channa - 1 cup, soaked overnight and pressure cooked till soft with salt.
Coconut - 1/2 cup shredded (Dessicated / Fresh)
Jeera - 1 tsp
Red Chillies - 6 to 7
Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
Curry leaves - few
Shallots (small onion) - 5 or a third of a big onion.
Garlic - 4 to 5 small cloves
Black Peppercorns - 10 to 15
Tamarind - lemon sized (soaked in warm water)
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt, to taste

For Seasoning:
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal - 1/2 tsp
Methi seeds - a few
Red Chilli - 1
Asafoetida - a pinch
Curry leaves - few

Method:
1. Heat 1 tsp of oil and saute dried red chillies, coriander seeds, onion, garlic, pepper and curry leaves till browned. Remove and allow to cool. In the same pan, roast the coconut till it turns almost blackish brown (with dessicated this step will be done quicker). Cool this as well and grind with the remaining roasted ingredients, with sufficient water to a fine paste.

2. Extract tamarind juice from the soaked pulp. Add salt, the paste above, cooked black channa and sufficient water to the tamarind juice and allow this to boil well until it thickens to the desired consistency

3. Finally season this by heating a tsp of oil, add mustard, urad dhal, methi seeds, curry leaves, hing and red chilli broken in half and add this to the theeyal once the mustard seeds crackle. Tasty theeyal is now ready.

Comments

  1. Chana Theeyal looks warm & spicy!!!
    Thx...

    themistressofspices.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love theeyal. I would have made it for our sadya yest. had I had some more time. We usually add vegetables. Your version looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This curry is pretty new to me. It looks so aromatic and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theeyal looks very comforting..never tried it before, will try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks so good.. u are right, it does remind me of vethal kozhamu

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks delicious! like black chana in all it's variations :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so yummy, I have never had it before, but am longing to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Theeyal is my favorite gravy,I have posted one before.Your's looks thick and delicious.Thank you so much for the recipe:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've never seen kadala theeyal before. the one i have seen is with ulli (shallots) and i hate it. i'm not very fond of onions/shallots. however, this one sounds like a yummy version of theeyal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! looks great. Never this type of theeyal. Will try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I hope you get a chance to try and enjoy this theeyal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have had this in a restaurant. Chettinad cuisine has a similar recipe. It has a smoky flavour (obvious to its name) that I happen to love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Theeyal looks so deep and rich with the flavours of the ingredients. I would love some :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chana Theeyal looks damn good. i have never tatsted it but this flavourful dish is definitely cooking in my kitchen v soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a delicious looking theeyal. I have bookmarked this. want to try out for puttu.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delicious looking theeyal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks yummy! my mouth is watering already! I better read the recipe once again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lavanya
    Wish u a very happy Onam.
    I worked in Trivandrum for a few yrs and I have a special connection with that place...I especially loved the Onam festival....lots of shopping to do :-))
    Nice recipe dear :-) Looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This curry looks nice. Its nice way to make kala chana:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Theeyal looks spicy, and i can imagine the aroma it must have spread, with all those spices in it

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks spicy. A must try i guess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts