Pan-roasted Cauliflower

This Cauliflower fry is made crispy by adding some flours and I wanted to try making this since it doesn't involve any deep-frying. My mom made this a few times while she was visiting us but as luck would have it, I was not supposed to eat it then since I was on a special 'post-partum diet' in which cauliflower was a no-no. All I got was one small floret - to taste and that only increased my yearning because it was really good.

PAN-ROASTED CAULIFLOWER

Ingredients:

Cauliflower - half of a big one, separated into florets
Besan - 1/4 cup
Rice Flour - 3 tbsp
Cornflour - 1 tbsp
Chilli powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 to 2 tbsp

Method:

1. In a microwave safe bowl, put the cauliflower florets, some salt, turmeric, a few tbsp of water, cover and cook for about 5 minutes (or until par-boiled)

2. Carefully remove the florets (without the water) and toss with the besan, rice flour, cornflour, chilli powder and salt. Let rest for about 20 to 30 mins.

3. Heat the oil in a wide skillet on medium, add the cauliflower pieces, toss gently (I find that a silicone spatula works best) until the cauliflower is coated with oil, as evenly as possible. Let cook, uncovered, until roasted and crispy, tossing gently every once in a while.

p.s. You could add some breadcrumbs if you wish to increase the crispiness but I haven't tried that so far.

Comments

  1. laavanya, this looks so good.. never had besan with cauliflower.. reminds me of bajji ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lavanya, looks good have cauliflower sitting my ref will try it today

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good! Have not tried it with besan yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks yum, definitely better than deep fry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am bookmarking this. Nice recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lavanya ,tried your recipe today came out excellent, thanks for sharing.
    Check it out @
    http://sreelus.blogspot.com/2007/08/cauliflower-65-pan-fried-cauliflower.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. baking will work too, i'm guessing. nice dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. baking will work???? never mind, i am trying this one shortly...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi lavanya....
    Ur cauliflower is looking great....nice picture....simple recipe...love it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice recipe laavanya! rice flour must be giving a crunchiness! nice picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rajitha, thanks do try it - definitely healthier than bajji.

    Sreelu, thanks for trying this out so quickly and posting it too! :) You really are very prompt. I used some PAM too if I found them sticking and I love the idea of adding masala powders.

    Thanks TBC, hope you get a chance to try it sometime.

    Richa, oh yes and yet satisfying.

    Hope you try it Archana. Thx

    Bee, maybe baking will work.. didn't try thoug since i tried baking cauliflower with salt, pepper and olive oil (similar to what I do with broccoli) once and it was such a let down. The broccoli turns super crispy but this didn't do so well. I probably shd give it another shot. Thx

    Sia, please let me know if baking did work when you try...

    Thank you so much Sukanya.

    Yes latha.. the rice flour helps with the crispiness. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this recipe...and no frying involved, super!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to make your ammini kozhakattai soon... and now you have this for me. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are so many cauliflower recipes that I have bookmarked to try such as yours but the darn this is so expensive here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW......roasted Cauliflower is absolutely looks crispy my dear. Lovely dish.:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey laavanya...happened to visit ur blog...and stopped at pan roasted cauliflower...gud that i did this...:)) came out so good and was a successful combo with rasam...tx 4 the recipe:))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts