Rava Dosai

Rava dosais were hardly my favorite when we visited restaurants, as a kid... though I distinctly remember my father ordering them quite often. I warmed up to it when I tasted Onion Rava Masal Dosai at the Komalas in Singapore but because of the variety you get there, I didn't order again. At first, I tried my hand at making these using the ready-mixes one gets at stores because my husband is a big fan but all that I managed to whip up were some soft ones which hardly held their shape together and were a nightmare to scrape of the dosakal. Arun sadly munched on those while wistfully telling me about the wonderful rava dosais that his mom made.

There is a silver lining to this dark, gloomy, cloud - we tasted crispy, perfect rava-dosais at my friend Raji's place and after helping her make them, my confidence grew. Armed with her recipe and proportions, I tried at home and this time they turned out really good - success at last. Since then I've stuck to this recipe pretty much.

RAVA DOSAI

Ingredients:
Rava - 1 cup (add about 1/4 cup more if very fine)
Rice flour - 1/2 cup
All purpose flour (Maida) - 1/2 cup
Buttermilk - 1/2 cup
Water - 6 cups or so (check the consistency)
Salt - to taste
Oil - to drizzle and cook

Seasonings: (Add the ones that suit your taste, I add them all)
Ginger - 1/2 inch, finely chopped
Onion - 1, finely chopped
Green chillies - 2 to 3, finely chopped
Curry Leaves - few, chopped
Coriander leaves - few, chopped
Jeera (cumin seeds) - 1/2 tsp
Pepper, powdered - a couple pinches or to taste.

Method:
1. Mix the flours with the water, buttermilk and salt. Add the seasonings as required. It will be pretty watery but that's fine. Let this mixture rest for about 30 mins to an hour, atleast.

2. Heat the dosakal (pan), rub lightly with some oil. Everytime before pouring the dosas, mix the batter because it tends to settle, then scoop from the top.

3. Pour onto the hot pan (it will be lacey with several holes). Drizzle some oil and leave it undisturbed until the edges turn brown. Actually it will easily come off the stove when it is cooked well and has browned, if it doesn't come out then let it rest a few seconds more before attempting again. Flip over and let the other side cook (done faster than the first side).


4. They take more time to cook in comparison to normal dosas but it is worth the wait - I think. Crispy rava dosais are ready to serve with Tomato Thokku or Coconut Chutney or even sambar.


Comments

  1. Crisy & Yummy!!! Dosa looks very good!!

    themistressofspices.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crispy looking dosa, very tempting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so badly needed this recipe. Mine always turn out soft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking for such a crispy dosa recipe. I have also gone for the store bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really crispy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. stop hogging my bookmark folder, gal. this is ridiculous. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum yum! u got a nice lace texture, rava dosa is my fav, it was also my entry to the first ever rci :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, i made rava uttapam yesterday, but my husband loves the rava dosa more...I have to learn how to get that perfect texture though:(...your looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. U brought back nostaligic memories of macraoons from tuticorin. I used to loe them. I will definitely give this a try

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crispy....nice mixture of Rice, maida and Rava...It is very taste with ginger, green chillies and cumin combination...I will try it......Thanks for sharing.:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dosa is looking nice and crisp. I had never added buttermilk. I will try your recipe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I come over now? I am ever so hungry! And this looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. DO NOT TEMPT ME!!! I am still at the hotel!!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Aruna, TBC & Sharmi.

    Sugany, I totally understand your predicament - i was there too. Try this out and let me know.

    Yeah Seec, the store bought ones don't work for me.

    Thank you Latha.

    Bee, I am honoured to be on your bookmark folder! :) Thanks.

    Thanks Richa. Let me check out yours.

    Hi Mansi, the batter and the temp. of the pan matters the most. Once you get it, then it's quite easy.

    Shankari, I'm a big fan of macaroons too. Hope you give them a try - they are very easy. Let me know.

    Thank you Kajal, I agree, the seasonings give the required punch.

    Archana, Thanks. I do add a week bit of buttermilk. Sometimes I even add a scoop of the regular idli/dosa batter but didn't this time.

    You are welcome home anytime Raaga.

    Asha, really nice of you to comment from your hotel! Hope you are having a great one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. we use ditto proportion - but dont use butter milk. i think the proportion just rocks, yummy crispy rava dosais :D

    will try with buttermilk sometime.

    ps: btw, are you the laavanya with a 24 month old daughter? im sorry if you're not but i vaguely seem to recollect a comment from either you or your namesake

    lakshmi

    http://theyumblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Latha of the yum blog fame - i just checked your version and yes you have the same proportions. I love your step-by-step photos too.

    Yes I am the same laavanya with the 22 month old daughter and tried your karaikudi sambar.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Crispy and perfect! Your rava dosai looks too good!! Maybe i'll try this for the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Lavanya,

    First time at your blog,Rava Dosa is our family favorite and is a sunday special. had a quick galnce you have a nice collection of recipes .added you to my blogroll

    ReplyDelete
  19. rava dosa looks crisp and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rava dosa is perfect Laavanya. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  21. yay, cooking for your daughter must be fun :D

    im lakshmi, latha mami's daughter - and i absolutely adore kids

    i have a niece who's about 2 1/2 years old now and love cooking for her - her favs are pasta and cabbage :D

    http://theyumblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Lakshmi, good to hear from you. Yes, cooking for my daughter is fun, esp. when she enjoys what I make. Most of the time I end up having quite a struggle making her eat :) She's learning to eat by herself now and enjoys it though it can get messy. Nice to know about your niece... my daughter loves pasta too. She eats it plain or with pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This reminded me of my mom's crispy ,smacking,tasty rava dosas dear :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts