Macaroons

As a kid, I loved these puffy, white, cones of sweetness - still do, infact. They were crunchy for most part with a little bit of chewiness and had chopped cashews in the mix. Whenever my father went to Tuticorin he would buy these for me, even now he sends these along when possible. When I saw 'meringues' here in the US for the first time, I was thrilled thinking that I had found macaroons again but they didn't taste anywhere close to the 'real' one that I adored. I don't know if the box i bought was bad or if all meringues taste that way because I never ventured to taste them again after the first attempt.

Anyhow, when a friend of mine mentioned that these can very easily be made at home, I didn't hesitate to try. This is my 2nd attempt at these and even though I don't get the cone shape, the taste matches what we get in India.

MACAROONS

Ingredients

Egg Whites - 2
Sugar - 2/3 cup
Cashews - 150 gms (unsalted, not roasted)

Method

1. Let egg whites stay at room-temperature for 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (no need to grease)

2. In a large bowl, beat (with an electric mixer) on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).

3. Now, start adding sugar, 1 tbsp at a time (adding sugar little by little is key), while still beating.

4. Continue beating for about 7-10 minutes until stiff peaks form (tips are straight) and sugar has almost dissolved.

5. Put cashews in a mixie and powder till slightly coarse. Fold this carefully into the beaten egg white mixture.

6. At this point, you can put this in a pastry bag / ziploc bag and cut off a tip to pipe this onto the parchment paper. I just kept it simple and dropped spoonfuls of this on the parchment paper leaving some space in between.

7. Put this in a 200F to 225F (low heat) oven and bake for 30 minutes. You can switch off the oven at this point and let the cookies stay in the oven for a while to make then even more crisp.

8. Let cool fully before storing them in air-tight containers.

Comments

  1. That's it?!!! Just the 3 ingredients? I had no idea!
    They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are looking too pretty , pure white. I have never tasted them. They seem easy to make too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. they have come out really well and it looks so pretty. nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so very delicious, andeasy to make!!! Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a famous sweet in Tuticorin Laavanya. Very nice and perfect shape. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too love macaroons.
    You have made it perfectly.
    I would like to try this. But I really can't visualize step 6 (inspite of good explanation). Could you please post a picture or explain me more in detail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup TBC - that's all, really, truly ... :) Thanks.

    Archana - Thanks - they are pretty easy to make.

    Thank you Sharmi and Cinnamon.

    Viji, Thanks... That's true but now they seem to prevalent in lots of places.

    Seec Thanks, I really hope you try it. I'm sorry that I don't have any addnl pics of step 6 but it is very simple. I just took a spoonful of this mixture and dropped it on the cookiesheet for each cookie. You can watch a video I found to explain this to you at the foll. link:
    http://video.about.com/baking/Meringue-Cookies.htm
    This video shows both methods - dropping via a spoon or piping. Pls let me know if you still have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cone shape or not i love macaroons and urs looks perfect girl:) thank u for sharing the recipe with us

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Laavanya!Happy Monday.
    Looks like a fluffy cloud and yummy.Macaroons have Coconut in them too.Good job girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey, macaroons look so nice n light, and just 3 ingredients, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Lavanya!! you made those delicious macaroons at home. They look so good. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these look cute... I've had the Trivandrum ones and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Asha and Happy Monday to you too.

    I know Sia, the taste makes me forget that they aren't the right shape... :) Thanks.

    Yes Richa, I was struck by the simplicity too. Thanks for your comments.

    Seema and Raaga, thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is macroon this simple. The taste is deceptive.Must try & will try

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey never knew that macarons were so easy to make. My friend loves them have to make it for her :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey .. Nice post!
    Really, they are so tasty.!!
    i have put up your link in my blog, as there is a note of macroo involved : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi - I tried this out and only the outer layer was crispy, it was soft within. I followed each step you have listed, can you think of what possibly could have gone wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never knew that these delicious macroons can be made at home. Will definitely give it a try and post pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now you can buy Thoothukudi Macroon online at http://www.nativespecial.com/Thoothukudi_Macaroon.php

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts