Bell-pepper Besan Curry

This is a quick, tasty curry with Bell peppers (Capsicum) and Besan (kadalai maavu). I normally serve this with Chapathis.

BELL PEPPER - BESAN CURRY

Ingredients:

Bell Peppers - 2, big
Onion - 1, finely chopped
Tomato - 1, small, finely chopped
Ginger - 1/2 inch, chopped
Garlic - 3 to 4 cloves, chopped
Green chillies - 3, chopped
Besan - 3 to 4 tbsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt, to taste
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2 to 3 tsp

Method:

1. Heat oil in a wide skillet and add cumin seeds, after a few seconds, add the chopped onions, garlic, ginger and green chillies. Sauté this until the onions soften and brown a bit.

2. Add the bell peppers, salt and continue frying for a few minutes longer before adding tomatoes, chilli powder and coriander powder.

3. Let this fry until the masala is well cooked. Now slowly add the besan and keep stirring. I normally spray some oil at this point and keep frying on a medium flame so it doesn't get too sticky.... and we are done!


Comments

  1. I love this sabzi. Liked the recipe. Sabzi looks nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laavanya,

    My mom makes this and I love the combination of besan and bell pepper, they gel very well

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Fav as well! :) I have one on my blog as well.... though without onion and tomato.... Will try it this way next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi laavanya,
    how is your little one?

    Tasty curry! I love the combination of tomato, onion and capsicum. I make vethal kuzhambu also in this cobo. Adding gram flour gives a great taste. I feel i'll make this with chapathi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks delicious! bell pepper & besan goes very well together, will try with tomato next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make a similar too,in my post at FH. Fabulous with chapatis.Looks so delicious.Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Archana, Thank you!

    Sreelu, The first time I had it, I loved it only thing is that it needs a bit more oil than usual curries.

    Coffee, Will check out your version. Haven't tried with onion and tomato so far.

    Hello Latha, My daughter is fine... thanks for asking. Just dropped her off at daycare.
    That's an interesting combination for vathal kuzhambu.. i haven't added tomatoes to it so far or even capsicum for that matter. I agree about the besan.

    Richa, thanks... I like the slight sourness that comes from the tomatoes.

    Asha, true it is good with chapathis. Will check out your version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice dish. I too make this but without the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey laavanya ...thank u ....this is just in time when i was looking for a different recipe with bell peppers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love bell pepper with besan! I make this without tomato and ginger-garlic. Your version looks mouth watering, will try it next time i make this bhaaji.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of my fav curries....My husband loves this combination.......goes well with rice/roti...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great picture!

    I want to try this recipe sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a yummy recipe. I definately going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!
    That's a very simple and tasty recipe! the tip really will help! thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have made a similar one for maharashtrian thali. it tastes real good but we have to be very careful not to over cook it right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Laavanya, I love this...I make a huge bowl out of which half I eat just like that by itself!! This is a total favourite of me and my husband both!! and so easy to make too yaar...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts