Soya Upma

I finally managed to buy soya granules and could create my entry for WBB - Soy, hosted by the sweet gal at Hunger Pangs. Sorry it took so long Rajitha! Well, I made it for breakfast today and here I am posting the recipe.. this is as fresh as it gets :)

I know that some of you may be discouraged by the idea of using soya and only soya in this upma but it really does taste good. You don't really taste big pieces of soya and it just lends the dish some body and a chewy texture. When paired with the crunchy, sweet carrot and cabbage it makes for a delicious breakfast. My husband hasn't even tried it once because it sounds healthy and has the word 'upma' in it's title so you only have my word for how good this is... :) I think it makes for a healthy, tasty, quick breafkast.

SOYA UPMA
Ingredients:

Soya granules - 1/2 cup, cooked acc. to package directions.
Onion - half medium, chopped
Carrot - 1 small, grated
Cabbage - 1/2 cup, chopped
G. Chillies - 2 to 3, slit
Ginger - half inch, grated
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad dhal - 1/4 tsp
Jeera (Cumin) - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida (hing) - a pinch
Coriander leaves - little, chopped
Salt, to taste
Lemon juice - to taste (optional)

Method
1) I let the soy granules be in boiling, slightly salted water for about 5 minutes and let them stay there for another 10 minutes before draining and squeezing out excess water.

2) Heat the oil in a pan and season with mustard, urad dhal, jeera and hing. Once the mustard splutters, add the chopped onion, g. chillies and ginger and let cook till the onion softens.

3) Now add the grated carrot, cabbage, salt and saute for 4 to 5 min.

4) Now add the soy granules and allow to cook for another 2 - 3 minutes before removing from the stove. Sprinkle some lemon juice if desired and serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.

Another great breakfast idea with Soy would be to make a Tofu Scramble, stuff them between two slices of bread and pop them in a sandwich toaster.

Comments

  1. Never cooked with soya but it looks really delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly see the Soya granules there which is good thing for me and makes it healthy without overpowering the dish. Very colorful yummy looking Upma!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laav..it looks delicious!! and funny ur husband would not touch it..you should have said deep-fried soy masala or something and see :D..will try this and send the recipe to my sis who loves soy nuggets..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious...Good job lavanya..Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't even mind sautéing the veges. Will be fresh and crunchy with the chewy granules. Looks so colourful and inviting. Too bad your hubby didn't give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. healthy breakfast...sooo colorful..good job

    ReplyDelete
  7. Healthy breakfast Laav! But sadly like A i dont like upmas too :-( Can manage once in a while, but prefer not to have it if i can pass :-) My kids go after me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Upma looks so yummy Laavanya! Great Entry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice entry, Laavanya, but a little too healthy for me. :-). I thought that there would be at least 1 tsp of rava added somewhere.
    I like tofu scrable and make it sometimes.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever and healthy idea Laav. I am trying to imagine the taste and texture of this one. Is it very chewy?

    ReplyDelete
  11. thats a heakthy and tasty food lavanya --nice rcipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am just getting warmed up to tofu, think I should try soy granules next... hmmm...
    your upma looks delicious... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks nice. I really should start cooking with things soya. I actually have soya flakes and some tofu but haven't got around to doing anything with them, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice entry!
    but like ur hubby, a lil' too healthy for me ....lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Happy Cook.

    The brown bits are the soya granules but they don't have a very strong taste. Thank you Asha.

    Rajitha, haha.. that sounds like just the name he'd go for.

    Thank you Dhivya.

    Thank you Suganya.. I know.. his loss but more for me.

    Thank you Remya.

    Shankari, thanks!

    Seema, i wasn't a bit fan of upmas as a kid (except for a few varieties) but I love every one of them nowadays.

    Thank you Siri.

    TBC, i knew this would meet with quite a bit of opposition. It may sound too healthy but it tastes pretty good (atleast to me) :)

    Red Chillies, Thanks! It's not as chewy as the granules but kinda chewy. The crunch from the vegs balances well with this. The soy granules are very small so it's not an overpowering texture.

    Thank you Sagari.

    Sig, I saw your tofu scramble... These granules are rather versatile and can be added to cutlets and stuff. Try 'em.

    Aparna, i think all things with soy take a while to get used to but once you do they taste good.

    Richa, thanks but it tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this one sounds very very interesting!!! Nice way to "start" using soya, i guess. Have bookmarked it... Will try it sometime n let you know! Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice dish! I was thinking what to do with some soya chunks here..:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. soya upma looks so colourful...i kept thinking of what to do with soya and ended up with nothing .

    Good job

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've used soy granules before with some success and this recipe looks fabulous! I can't wait to try it (though I think I'll need to find a substitute for the asafoetida--hard to find in northern Toronto!).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi,

    I have kept soya granules without using it till now.

    I had never been an upma fan but my three year old son loves upma and i think soya upma recipe that you have put is something he is gonna love. Better still, it is so healthy for kids to eat food like that. It will be great for him. Thanks a ton, keep posting these recipes please.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi dear, thank you for your wonderful healthy reipe with soya. The picture shows that the dish has come out in yellow colour. But you haven't used any ingredients to give the dish this colour. They how come ???????

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts