Vangi (Eggplant) Bhath

There are some recipes that become an instant hit the very first time you try and they end up becoming a regular at home. Vineela's Vangi Bhaath is one such recipe and since it's so easy to make, especially when the Masala powder is ready in the fridge, it works great for busy weekend dinners. When paired with a raitha and chips it makes for a complete and enjoyable meal. Thank you Vineela for such a lovely recipe.

The masala powder measurements below will last about 2-3 preparations of Vangi bhath and stay well for 6 months when refrigerated.

VANGI BHATH

Ingredients:

For the Masala Powder:
Dessicated coconut - 3 tbsp
Chana dal (Bengal gram - 2 tbsp
Urad dal - 2 tbsp
Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
Seseme seeds(Ellu) - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Cloves - 1
Cardamom - 1
Sha jeera( Caraway seeds) - ¼ tsp
Fenugreek seeds(Methi) - ¼ tsp
Dried Red chillies - 5
Cinnamon - 1" piece
Groung Nutmeg - ½ tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch

For the Bhath:
Basmati Rice - 1.25 cups (dry)
Eggplant (long purple) - 3, cut into 2 inch juliennes
Peas - 1/2 cup
Peanuts - 1/3 cup, cut into small pcs.

Onion - 1 big, sliced into 1 inch pieces.
G. Chillies -3, slit

Jeera - 1 tsp
Channa Dhal - 2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Vangi Bath Masala - 2 tbsp or to taste
Tamarind paste - 1 tsp (store-bought)

Curry leaves - few
Coriander leaves - for garnish
Oil - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tsp

Method:

1) Heat a sauce pan and dry roast the ingredients for the masala powder. Cool and grind this to a powder. This will keep well for 6 months in the refrigerator.

2) Cook Basmathi rice with water (Ratio 1: 1.75) and some salt till done. Allow the rice to cool so the grains can be separate.

3) Heat oil add the curry leaves, cumin seeds and chana dal fry for few seconds,then add the chopped green chillies ,onions & salt. Sauté for 2 minutes.

4) Add eggplant pieces ,turmeric and sauté till eggplants are semi translucent.

5) Add (frozen) peas, chilli powder, vangibhath masala pwd and stir for a while. Cover and cook in low flame for another 2 minutes.

6) Add tamarind juice, roasted peanuts, stir well and cook till done.


7) Carefully stir in the cooked basmathi rice and adjust salt & masala pwd according to taste. Add a tspn of ghee to it and mix well to get all the flavours into the rice and Cook for another 4 minutes by covering with lid.

8) Remove from fire and garnish with fresh Coriander leaves.

Comments

  1. Just looking at it makes me drool. I am so tired sweets I have having these days, I would love some of this dish. Looks yum Laavanya!:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I used to visit ur site often but this is first time i'm posting my comment. All ur recipes are really good and i have tried many of ur recipes. i have recommended ur site url to some of my friends too.

    rama

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so good Laav! As Asha said too much sweets these days, i am ready for some fiery spicy stuff! Looks great.. i will try it out soon... Liked idea of masala powder on hand, it really helpouts on those crazy days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like vaangi bhaat MINUS the vaangi!! the masala is so tasty!!! hehehe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vangi bhaat looks delicious.Like Manasi, I too like it without the vangi;-) I made Viji's SIMP a month back and am using it in a lot of dishes. Got to try this masala powder when the other one's used up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to add...nice new look!... very bright and clean:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey, the new look for the new year is very good :)
    vangi bhath is soooo tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom makes these for others as i dont like eggplant..but ur vangi bath powder recipe would be quite useful as i have been buying it for making methi rice..thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was just thinking yest what i will do with all those leftover eggplans in my fridge, which i bought to add to sambhar but ended up forgetting! thanks for the answer :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious Laavanya!And your blog also looks bright!
    Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laavanya!!
    Happy new year to u n family!!
    That Vangi bhath looks delicious!!
    Love your new look

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laav..loved the new look...and that vangi-bhath looks yummy..i will try it out with potatoes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like vangibath but I dont like store bought masala powder I will try your masala powder PIC LOOKS TEMPTING

    ReplyDelete
  15. Asha, that's true. This is sure to be satisfy your spice cravings. Thank you!

    Rama, am so happy to read your comment and know that you've enjoyed my recipes. Thanks for writing in and also sending my blog link to your friends.

    Seema, I've been making this atleast once every 2 weeks since it's a neat way of getting Arun to eat eggplants. When I add some ghee to it, Anushka can eat some too.

    Haha Manasi. I don't find the eggplant taste so dominating in this.. maybe because it's the long purple ones are not so seedy.

    TBC, my husband doesn't normally like eggplants but he likes this. What other dishes do you use Viji's SIMP? I made some too but haven't used it much yet, except adding to some spinach kootu. And Thanks for your encouragement on the new look.

    Thank you Richa... :)

    EC, hope you try it for your methi rice. Thanks.

    Nags, I hope you give this a shot.

    Thank you Raks. Am glad you like the new look. Happy New Year to you too.

    Thank you Padmaja. My best wishes to you too for a great new Year. Am so thrilled about all the nice comments about the new look! :)

    Rajitha, that's a good idea to use potatoes. Had no idea that there were so many eggplant haters. I just changed my template on a whim yday .. glad it worked out well.

    Sagari, I haven't tried with store-bought powder.. I like this masala... do try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. yumm... I've never had it, the thought of eggplant rice never appealed to me, but yours look great... Now I have to try it sometime... :) Happy New Year Laav..

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like this recipe and I love eggplants..will give this a try and R & I drooled over your paneer mutter last night

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so tempting laavanya... Wish u a happy and prosperous 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've tried vangi bhath only once and really liked it. I see that your recipe is a little different from that. I'll bookmark it to try it for later. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts