Chakkarai (Sweet) Pongal

With Pongal just passing by, am sure the blogosphere has several posts of this sweet, jaggery pongal. I used a pressure cooker as opposed to the traditional vengalai paanai adorned with turmeric and kumkum. With freshly made ghee it tasted real good.

SARKARAI PONGAL

Ingredients:

Rice - 1 cup
Mung Dhal - 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup
Jaggery - 2 cups, crushed and packed
Water - 1/2 cup + 3 cups
Milk - 2 cups
Cardamoms - 3, crushed
Ghee - 3 tbsp
Raisins - few
Cashews- few, cut into bits

Method:
1) Lightly toast mung dhal till fragrant. Wash rice and mung dhal and pressure cook together with 3 cups of water and 2 cups of milk (1:5 ratio)

2) Heat the jaggery with 1/2 cup water till completely dissolved and strain to remove impurities, if any. Heat the strained solution until it thickens a bit (1-string consistency).

3) Now add the cooked pongal to the jaggery and stir on a medium flame till it thickens a bit. Add the crushed/powdered cardamom.

4) Heat ghee in a separate pan, toast the raisins and cashews and add to the sweet pongal. Stir and simmer for a few minutes before removing from the stove. Chakkarai pongal is ready to serve.

Comments

  1. Happy Sankrathi to you ...Yummy Yummy Pongal ..I also made some ..will post my soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Pongal/ Maatu Pongal to you Laavanya :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never tasted this, now glad to see this here..

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy pongal to you too!! i also made pongal!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When r u sending me a packet of that!? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. u know..this is a distant fav..my first love is ven pongal...i hope u took pics of that too...if you did..hope that is ur next post :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have eaten this before and just love it. I have a sweet tooth:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Deepa.

    Wishing you the same Suganya.

    Seena, you must try this.

    Thank you Remya.

    Superchef, I did check out your post.

    Anytime you want Dhivya... :)

    Rajitha, I've already posted ven pongal... unfortunately it was not the way you liked it.. my version is not mushy and has very less ghee.. you even mentioned that in your comment.. :) This one must meet your criteria but is sweet.

    TBC, you are sure to like this.

    Thank you Cynthia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Pongal.. Love Sakkarai Pongal.Nice one!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belated Happy Pongal. THis year I did not make pongal, but drooling over everyone else's

    ReplyDelete
  11. belated pongal wishes to u lav...

    ReplyDelete
  12. chakkarai pongal is yumm stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you had a great time on pongal day:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm I can never say no to Sweet Pongal!! Looks yummylicious Laavi :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have tasted this ones at a friends place. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very belated pongal wishes to you Laav... I love sweet pongal, the savory one I am not a fan of... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. thnks for letting me know about the garlic sauce girl..glad u liked it and that makes me so very happy :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy!!! I hope you had a grr8 pongal... Sweet pongal is my fav, but I've never tried making it... THanx for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks just the way my aunties used to make this. I could eat it up right now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so delicious. One suggestion. You can add some grated coconut when you fry your cashews. That gives a surprise crunch in the pongal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts