Rava Idlis

These instant idlis are quite popular now at home but I distinctly remember not liking these earlier on... maybe because it was from a package and not home-made. Even my mom liked the ones I made and said it was far better tasting than the packaged ones. Normal Idlis require all the grinding and fermenting but these just require some mixing and maybe 5 mins of sitting time before they can be steamed and consumed.... :) Perfect with chutney of your choice.

RAVA IDLI
Ingredients:

Fine Rava (Sooji) - 2 cups
Curds (Yogurt) - 2 cups
Carrot - 1 , grated (optional)
Curry leaves - 2 stalks, chopped
Coriander leaves - 2-3 tbsp, chopped
Grated coconut (fresh/frozen) - 1 tbsp
Ginger - 1/2 inch, grated
Green Chillies - 3, chopped finely.
Cashews - 8 to 10, cut into small bits
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal - 1 tsp
Channa dhal - 1 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt, to taste
Oil - 2 to 3 tbsp + 1 tsp

Method:

1) Heat the 1 tsp of oil in a pan and add mustard, urad dhal, channa dhal and cashews. Then add the chopped ginger, g. chillies and curry leaves, followed by grated carrot. Add some salt and cook till the carrots soften a bit.

2) Spread the rava on a plate with salt and baking soda and add the above fried mixture to this. Also add the 2 tbsp of oil and mix well.

3) About 15 minutes before serving, beat curds well and add coriander leaves and grated coconut. Mix this gently with the rava mixture. Adjust curds and add a little bit of water so the mixture is not too thick. It should be like idli batter or slightly thicker than that. I once used sour cream (instead of yogurt) blended with some water to thin it down and it resulted in great rava idlis. Let this mixture rest for about 5 minutes.

4) Meanwhile grease idli moulds and pour this batter. Allow to steam cook for 8 minutes or till done. The above measurements make about 18 - 20 idlis.

Comments

  1. yumm..loove rawa idlies..i never ate this till i was in my intermediate..i felt they would not be good!! insane huh..ur idlies look great laav...mine have never come out well. my mom makes great ones, i follow the recipe..but it is not as good as hers..i am going to make yours soon and i really hope i will not screw up something!..coz i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too became a fan of rava idlis only later on in life. Nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look perfect Lavi, I make the mix too, it makes a gr8 difference in the taste right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah i too never liked rave idlis when i was younger.
    I never make idlis at home as i am the only one who like them. Hubby and daughter are dosa fans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rava idlis look so simple and fast to make. Just one Q, don't you have to fry the rava?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i totally agree w/ u, they r quick to make & taste sooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never made Rava Idlis before, I shoudl try them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not an idli person but I gotta say that they look really soft and spongy.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too make them with ready made mix. like those too. this would be much more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, you changed your blog...looks very fresh! Idlis that require no fermenting, look so good & taste awesoem...i'll take it ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these!! I had just read of instant rava idlis!! Time to try them too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love rava idlis...always had them at restaurants only..never made them at home...do u, by any chance, have the recipe for making this in the microwave..??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rava Idlis are my all time fav!

    ReplyDelete
  14. rava idlis looks o beautiful lovely breakfast recipe i love these for dinner more tham bf

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me too Rajitha. I grew to like rava dosas and idlis much later in life. The consistency I find is key and I've used this method several times. Try and let me know. Don't worry - you won't.

    Thank you Jayashree.

    Thank you Namratha. I definitely agree.

    Oh that's sad HC. Though we sometimes prefer dosais we like idlis too.

    Thanu, Thanks. I know that some recipes call for frying the rava but I don't do it. Not had a problem either.

    That's True Richa, Thanks.

    Lata, do try.. it's a breeze.

    TBC, Thanks! Now i'd think that this is the kind of recipe you'd want to try.. not too much of a hassle. But you don't like idlis.. :(

    I've never had good luck with the readymade mixes vimmi. I prefer these.

    Tee, yeah I did. Good to know you like it... :) These idlis are super easy and taste good. Do try.

    Definitely Manasi. Thank you.

    You ought to try this super chef. Very easy indeed. Unfortunately i don't have the microwaveable idli moulds so haven't tried that method.

    Thanks Dhivya!

    Sagari, we too end up having this for dinner most of the time.

    Thank you Shankari... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice ones!! I love them too:-)
    My mom used to fry all the dry ingredients & keep in a Container for further use too...stays for 2 months atleast.. Love these with Corriander chutney!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i hate normal rice idlis but love rawa idlis :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I love Rava Idli especially with corriander chutney. But I use the MTR mix as mine always turns soggy. I need to try your recipe Laavanya.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love idlis, this doesn't need any curry with that..hm?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts