Here's a quick recipe with Vazhakai (Green, Raw Plantains) and makes for a yummy side-dish. I usually eat a good quantity of this during the process of making it - hot off the pan :) The plantains we get here cook really fast - which according to my mom is not the case in India, so I usually just dice and throw them in the pan directly with no pre-cooking whatsoever.
Vazhakais (Plantains) - 3
Sambhar powder - 2 to 3 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp + Oil spray
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - few
Asafoetida - few pinches
1) Peel and dice the vazhakai into small cubes.
2) Heat oil in a wide, shallow pan add mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
3) Toss in the vazhakai cubes, sambhar powder and salt. Sprinkle a few drops of water and cover for a few minutes until the vazhakai is slightly cooked.
4) Remove the cover and let it roast on a medium flame with a few sprays of oil (if required) and toss until browned, crispy and cooked through.
5) Serve hot with rice, rasam and curds.