This is among my first few attempts of creating an entire dish in the microwave... I think the only other recipe I've tried was Nupur's Sabudana Khichdi. I chanced upon this recipe on the Arusuvai website, had mushrooms on hand and Srivalli's MEC - Rice Dishes on my mind so decided to give it a try. The resulting biryani was spicy, yummy and a keeper for sure.
MICROWAVE MUSHROOM BIRYANI
Rice - 1 cup, washed and soaked in water for 30 minutes
Button Mushrooms - 1 (8 oz) Pack ~ 15 mushrooms, chopped
Onion - 1 big, chopped finely
Tomato - 1, pureed in a mixie
Ginger - garlic paste - 2 tsp
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
Mint Leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
Chilli powder - 2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Biryani Masala / Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Cloves - 2 or 3
Cardamom - 1
Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
Star Anise - 1
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
1) Drain the soaked rice and add 2 cups of water to it (1:2 ratio). Add the whole masalas (Cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, star anise), a bit of salt and a few drops of oil. Cover and cook in MW for 9 minutes on high and then for another 6 minutes at 75% power. [ I selected Rice on my microwave since it has a sensor cook option].
2) Once cooked, empty out the rice onto a plate and allow to cool. Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth and chop.
3) Heat oil in a microwaveable bowl, cover and cook for a minute to warm it. Now add the cumin seeds and the chopped onion, ginger-garlic paste, stir and allow to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on high.
4) Now stir in chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, cumin and pepper powders and microwave for another 1-2 minutes.
5) Next add the ground tomatoes and cook for about 2-3 minutes on high. Stir in the yogurt, half of the chopped mint and coriander leaves, garam masala/biryani masala and salt. Allow this to cook for another 3 minutes on high.
6) Finally add the chopped mushrooms and cook on high for 4 to 5 minutes or until you have a nice thick gravy.
7) Divide the rice into 3 portions and the mushroom masala into 2. In another microwaveable bowl, layer them thusly - Rice, Mushroom, Rice, Mushroom, Rice. Top with the remaining coriander and mint leaves. Cover this and microwave for about 8 minutes on 75% power. This is to mimic the 'dum' technique.
8) Gently stir the rice and mushroom masala without breaking. Mushroom Biryani is now ready to serve.
As mentioned earlier, I would like to send this as my entry to Srivalli's MEC - Rice Dishes. I finally managed to send in an entry to your super event.... :)