Vegetable Kurma

This kurma is perfect for Parottas (the south indian flaky one) and is a recipe I learnt from Revathy aunty. This is a lot better than the ones served at restaurants because it's less greasy and has a lot more veggies. It's a bit on the thin side so the parathas can soak up all the gravy. I would presume that this will go good with idiyaapam too but this is something that I haven't tried yet.

VEGETABLE KURMA for Parottas


Ingredients:

Potato - 1, med-big, peeled, cubed
Beans - 15, cut into small pcs
Carrots - 1 big, cut into small pcs
Peas - half cup
Onion - 1.5 , medium
Tomato - 1 small or half big one
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Garlic - 3 to 4 cloves
Coconut - 1 tbsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves - to garnish
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
Salt, to taste
Oil - 3 tsp

Grinding Masala:
Sombu (Fennel) - 1 big pinch
Cloves - 1 or 2
Cardamom - 1
Cinnamon - 1 piece
Coriander seeds - 2 tsp

Method:

1) Heat 1 tsp of oil and saute half an onion, ginger, & garlic till brown. Allow this to cool slightly and grind to a paste with the grinding masala (above), coconut and little water.

2) Microwave the vegetables (potato, carrot, beans and peas) with a little salt and few tbsp of water on high for 7 mins (covered).

3) Heat 2 tsp of oil, and season with mustard seeds and curry leaves, add the 1 chopped onion and saute. When the onion softens and browns a bit, add the chopped tomato with some salt. When the tomato softens, add the ground paste and chilli powder. Cook this well.

4) After about 3-5 minutes, add the microwaved vegetables and water as required to make a gravy. Once this boils, reduce flame, cover, and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes or to required consistency.

5) Remove, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with flaky parottas.

Comments

  1. lovely n healthy kurma...love to have wid naan ...yeaa goes well wid idiyaapam....kurma is rich n colorful...my hubby doesnt like kurma..so i dont make this nw a days :-(((

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely kurma. And with the S.Indian parathas delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the color and yep..it would be great with rotis..yum :)...so is it snowing for u there or just plain cold ??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious and spicy Lavi, korma is such a versatile dish, goes with almost anything!! :) Nice recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice dish Laav! Goes well with rotis or naans or even fried rice too.. a crowd pleaser & also a nice way to get all those veggies in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at the pic has just made me realise how hungry I am :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice kurma laavanya. I agree that homemade kurmas have more vegetables in them than the one we get in restaurants. I'd love to have some now. Looks so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. delecious kurma with thick gravy gravy and those pics looks wonderfulll

    ReplyDelete
  9. sure, it tastes so good with paratha or even puris for that matter :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. kurma looks delicious and colorful..iam sure this tastes great with roti..:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very healthy one...i would even try with rice

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love kurma! this one with the tomatoes and chilli powder looks different and will go well with parathas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh yum, I'm sure this will be great with idiyappam...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks colourful and healthier too... Lovely recipe laavanya! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will sure try this within a week and let you know!Love the ingredients-masala...!If you could have done everything in microwave oven,you could have sent to srivalli's microwave-side dish event no?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm asusming that the south indian one is called 'kurma' and has coconut, and the north indian version is called 'korma' and has cream?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow nice recipe.. Tastes great with plain rice and rotis...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Remya, I know how that works. I still try to sneak in some of my favorite stuff.

    Happy Cook, it is a lovely combination.

    Rajitha, Thanks! It snowed last week and yday was actually great not very cold but apparently we are going to have quite a bit of snow this weekend. How's it for you guys?

    That's true Namratha.

    Seema, that's so true.

    Cynthia, am glad you liked it. Wasn't too sure of the pics myself. :)

    That's true Kribha. Thanks.

    Sagari, thanks. We love it at home.

    Richa, oh yes pooris would be nice too.

    Thank you Prajusha. We've almost always had it with parottas :)

    Thank you EC and Miri.

    Sig, that is something I've been wanting to try to.

    Anu, Thanks.

    Raks, Do try and let me know... :) You are right I could've but I made this before I knew about srivalli's event. Thanks! Must think of something else.

    Bee, I guess that would be an apt differentiation.

    Thank you Kalva.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Veg kurma looks really great Laavanya! It's been snowing all night and now I am on the prowl for some comfy warm dishes for the weekend. Perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so much like the way my mom used to make it!!! Thanx for reminding me....

    ReplyDelete
  21. The kurma looks really yummy. The colour is so deep.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I did this today:))Liked it very much! As you have said perfect for parotta! When I was in hostel,we used to have this in canteen...Will be superb and thanks a lot for the recipe:)) Will post the photo soon in my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Raks, am so happy to hear that you tried and liked this recipe. We love this with parottas because the soak up the gravy and taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I prepared it .... It came up really excellent ..... The good thing we are not using any curry powder... Everything we use is fresh .... Thanks a lot for receipe

    ReplyDelete
  25. Harry, am so happy to hear that you liked it. Thanks for the feedback and for trying out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. kurma was absolutely fantastic.it was even better than hotel kurma and with such simple ingredients.I have tried many of ur recipes,and everyone of them was great.u are a great cook.thanks for ur recipes

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tisha, you won't believe how happy I am to read your comment! :) Thank you so much for the great feedback! I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts