Matar Paneer

We love paneer at home and this is one of the many ways we enjoy it. I made Paneer at home this time using 2% milk so that made it a tad healthier than store-bought ones. Also, once I cut them I froze them individually on trays (for about 30 mins) before putting them in a ziploc bag so it makes it easier to take out the exact no. of cubes I want each time without having to worry about them sticking together... :)

I remembered Seema's tip about adding yoghurt in her version and since I had some sour cream on hand added that towards the end and it resulted in a creamy curry. Thank you Seema.

MATAR (Mutter) PANEER

Ingredients:
Paneer - 200 gm (cubed)
Peas - 3/4 cup (I used frozen)
Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Kasuri Methi - about 1/2 tsp, crushed between your fingers
Salt, to taste
Sour Cream - 1 to 2 tbsp (optional)
Oil - 2 to 3 tsp
Jeera (Cumin seeds) - 1/2 tsp

To Grind:

Onion - 1, chopped into big pieces
Tomato - 1, chopped into big pieces
Garlic - 5 cloves,
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Cilantro - a few stalks

Method:

1) Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and saute the onion, garlic and ginger till the onions brown a bit. Then add the tomatoes and cilantro and cook with a pinch of salt till it softens. Grind this to a paste in the mixie once it has cooled down a bit.

2) Pan fry the paneer cubes on either side till light brown. I sprinkle some salt after spraying the pan with oil before adding the paneer.

3) Heat the remaining oil in a pan and add jeera seeds, then add the ground paste along with all the masala powders and let this cook well with frequent stirring.

4) After about 5 minutes, add a cup of water to this paste and let it come to a boil. Add the paneer pieces and peas and allow to simmer covered for about 15-20 minutes.

5) Now add the crushed Kasuri methi and stir in the sourcream. Delicious Matar Paneer is now ready to serve. Enjoy with naans or chapathis.

Comments

  1. I am back!!!
    My daughter loves cheese, I bought a hunk of Paneer, got to try this. Thanks L. Happy holidays!:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...looks nice and creamy. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yours is a much healthier version than ours. freezing them separately fo a bit is a great idea. now, if i can make space in my freezer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow beautiful color curry looks delecious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freezing seperately is a great idea! Curry looks yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lavi, freezing them individually is good thinking! :) Love matar paneer, and this is almost how I make it too! I add a little bit of fresh cream in the end, yoghurt and sour cream aren't bad either :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks creamy and yummy!!! Love the color.Happy Holidays....

    ReplyDelete
  8. making paneer and freezing the cubes seperate is a great idea..i should make paneer again..i have made it in the past...but i am getting lazier day by day ;)...so how are you planning to spend ur christmas holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should try your muttar paneer dish mine is a bit heavier one.
    Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey laavanya..my hubby is a all time lover of Paneer.. nice recipe.. can i hv some?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never made paneer at home. The MP has such a gorgeous color!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great, loaded with protein.

    ReplyDelete
  13. been meaning to make this for some time now. have both paneer and mutter lying around in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely colour the gravy has, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laavanya, that's such a gorgeous coloured curry...and thanks for the tip on paneer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. d-lish! lovely color to the gravy :) u r so right, 2% milk paneer does come out well :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laav,
    Love the color of your curry. Very good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Asha, good to have you back and see your comments again. Wishing you Happy Hols. too.

    Thank you Pooja.

    Bee, I have to adjust a few things to fit a plate inside but it's worth the effort... :)

    Kalva, Thank you. Yours looks lovely.

    Thank you Sagari & Seema.

    Namratha, yes that does give it a special touch. I add some ground cashews once in a while too. I've been meaning to write this but I like how you call me Lavi.. that's how quite a few friends of mine in school used to call me! :) Then in univ it became Laavs.

    Ramya, Thank you and wishing you a happy hols too.

    Thanks EC

    Rajitha, I used to always think that it was a big chore.. but now that I've made it a couple times it doesn't seem so bad.. so you'll be fine once you try it..

    Thanks Raks.

    Happy Cook, I hope you do try this version sometime.

    Smn, sure you can! :)

    TBC, thank you. It was rather easy to make. How are you doing and what plans for the hols?

    Thank you Vimmi and Lata.

    Hope you try this Nags.

    Thank you Katy and Bindiya.

    Sunita, thank you! :)

    Richa, oh yes.. am sticking to 2%. I feel better about indulging knowing it's slightly less fattening :)

    Thank you Seena.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice looking recipe..Just tried it out. Will post and tell you abput how it came pout.. Thanks for posting this one just when i wanted a recipe on matar paneer...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts