Tomato Pickle

This tomato pickle recipe is something I tried from Indira's blog and fell completely in love with it... My friend who tasted this loved it as well and wanted the recipe. My daughter also loves the tangy taste of this pickle and tries to lick it clean off the dosai... :) This tastes different from my previous Tomato Thokku recipe and is more tomatoey. Though we like the other thokku too this is a welcome addition to my repertoire and i love the fact that this needs no grinding. I halved her recipe and so adjusted the ingredients accordingly. Thank you Indira for this!

TOMATO PICKLE

Ingredients:
Tomatoes - 10, ensure they are dry after washing
Tamarind paste - 1 to 2 tsp, i used store-bought or 2 tbsp thick pulp
Chilli powder - 2 tbsp
Salt, to taste
Fenugreek (methi) powder - a couple pinches
Nallennai (Gingelly) oil - 2 to 3 tbsp

Seasoning:
Nallennai (Gingelly) oil - 1 tbsp
Curry leaves - some
Garlic - 5 to 6 cloves, chopped
Asafoetida - couple pinches

Method:
1) Chop tomatoes. Heat oil in a big pan and add tomatoes, red chilli powder, salt and tamarind pulp. Cover and cook on high heat till tomatoes turn mushy. Reduce heat to medium and allow to cook till paste like. Add the methi powder now.

2) In another pan, heat the oil for seasoning and add all the ingredients and fry till golden. Add this to the pickle and stir well. Simmer for 10 minutes more (uncovered). Cool and bottle.



Comments

  1. yummy...looks really good...i love the no-grinding part :)..have a relaxing weekend laav :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mom makes this picle i use to eat this with everything like idli dosa chapathi.............looks soo delecious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even I made Tomato chutney with a twist of Panchphoran powder pretty receently.. Yours look too tempting!

    ~ Siri

    ReplyDelete
  4. this one is lovely!! I love all thokkus...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A versatile dip to go with anything and everything Laavanya. Nice post. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too make in the same way..but have never added tamarind before..!!Looks mouthwatering Laavanya!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thokku or pickle..You are making my cheek hurt! :)
    Lovely colour.My son likes this with anything!..will try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made something similar to this recently, from My Cookbook. And it was VERY delicious. I really like the use of sesame oil in your recipe - I think that this will make that special difference. And siri's use of panchporan sounds great too. Really nice post.

    VegeYum @ A Life (Time) of Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are looking like south indian....your Tomato pickle tells likes that....really our homemade pickle....sameway we are doing...nice to eat with hotrice....yemmy

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks a lot like the one my friend's mum makes - and it tastes delicious.

    Think I'll try this with blanching the tomatoes before cooking them.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As Rajitha said, I too love the fact that there is no grinding involved. I've tried your thokku before and simply loved it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks mouth watering Laavanya, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummm... Laavanya, reminds me of moms pickle...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This tomato pickle is one of my favorite pickles, and I am happy to read that you tried and liked this recipe, Laavanya.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i really shud try making pickle one of these days

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow..lovely!! I only make the bengali tomato chutney ..this will be a gud variation!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Rajitha. Hope you had a good one too.

    Same here Sagari. I had it with rice, dosa, idlis.... Thanks.

    Siri, that's a nice idea to add Panchphoran.

    Thank you Ramya & Viji.

    Raks, the tamarind definitely gives it a more tangy taste.

    Bharathy, i know what you mean. My daughter likes it too. Only after putting some on her 'dofai' has she started eating some.

    Vegeyum, i need to check out your version if you have posted already. Sesame oil does wonders for these kind of dishes. Thanks for dropping by.

    Raghu, yes I am south-india. This pickle was a bit like the one we get at Adyar Grand sweets.

    Kaykat, I hope you try this.. you won't be disappointed.

    TBC, thanks for trying the other thokku.. Me too.. that's why i first gave this a shot. Too lazy to grind. Glad i was lazy... :)

    Thank you Namratha and Kalva.

    Indira, a BIG thanks yet again. It's now our favorite too.

    Nags, start with this if you intend to... since it's not like the other pickles were you have to wait several weeks before getting a taste.

    Hello sugarcraft.. thanks. Hope you get a chance to try this sometime..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks Yum Laav!! Perfect colour u got.. with hot rice or dosas, its a sure hit:-) Glad Little A likes it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy! For some reason, I can't see the picture(s) (Blogger thinks I am making an automated request, or so it tells me) :) I'll check back for the pics, just a read through the recipe is making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I fell for this dish just by the looks. This a must try in my list. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tomatoes are rich in Vitamins C, A & K. I love Andhra style pickles. The making process has shown here looks delicious. Thank you for sharing a homemade Tomato / Thakkali pickle recipe, will try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts