Kuzhi Paniyarams

These are an easy to make snack and make for a really nice variation to the usual idlis and dosas. Though the savoury kuzhipaniyarams can be made with seasoned dosa batter, I find that the following batter results in fluffier and softer paniyarams.

KUZHI PANIYARAM

For the Batter:
Ponni Boiled Rice / Idly rice - 1 cup
Ponni Raw Rice - 1 cup
Urad Dhal - 1/4 cup
Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
Salt - very little
Baking Soda - 2 pinches

1) Soak the rices together with the methi seeds for atleast 4 hrs. Soak the urad dhal separately for atleast 1 hr.

2) Grind the urad dhal initially for about 10-15 minutes ( i use an ultra-grind), and then add the soaked rices. Grind to a smooth paste with water added as required. It shouldn't be too thick or thin. Add a little bit of salt (not too much), mix well and separate into 2 containers (one for savoury paniyarams and the other for sweet). Allow to ferment. I usually pull the one intended for sweet paniyarams out and refrigerate a bit sooner (say after 5 hrs) but let the savoury one stay so it can develop a slight sour taste.

Savoury Paniyarams:

Ingredients:
Onion - 1, chopped finely
Green Chillies - 3 to 4, chopped finely
Carrots - 1 big, peeled and grated
Ginger - 1/2 inch, mincedMustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dhal - 1/2 tsp
Channa Dhal - 1 tbsp, soaked in warm water
Curry Leaves - few, copped
Coriander leaves - few, chopped
Asafoetida - a pinch
Oil - 1 to 2 tsp

Method:
1) Heat oil and season with mustard seeds, urad dhal, channa dhal, curry leaves and asafoetida.

2) Add onions, green chillies and ginger, saute this for a few minutes till the onions soften. Toss in the grated carrot and add some salt. Cook this for a few more minutes. Add some chopped coriander leaves and mix this in with the batter. Add a couple pinches of baking soda as well.

3) This is now ready to be poured into the appam/paniyaram pan. I add a teeny tiny drop of oil in each depression and keep the flame on medium. Once the batter is poured, cover and let cook for a few minutes. Turn over with a chop stick and cook the other side as well.

4) Serve with chutney of your choice.. it's even delicious plain.

Sweet Paniyarams

Ingredients:
Banana - 1 or 2, mashed well
Sugar/Jaggery (powdered) - to taste
Cardamom (powdered) - few pinches

Method:
1) Mash the banana and add to the batter, mix it with required amount of sugar/jaggery and a few pinches of baking soda and cardamom.

2) Heat the appam pan and add a drop of ghee into each depression, pour some of the sweet batter and cook till done. Soft, fluffy, sweet paniyarams are ready.

3) This tastes best when served at room temperature.

Comments

  1. I like the sweet ones :-)... looks really good.That reminds me of the neiappams my mom made for us:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a good serving Laav for tea time :-) I need to visit you soon! I am coming.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I too use Ultrs grind;D
    We too make the same way...but without veg..in salt version!
    Your evening snacks make me hungry
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aha! you keep making delicious food laav and keep tempting me..would love to have atleast 8 salted ones NOW :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very easy to make and delicious too! I have only eaten these, never tried making them

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a long pending demand in our house...although i dont have the moulds, atleast i have the recipe now..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great snack with a hot cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had them but it looks delicious. Would love to taste them

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks gr8!! very healthy treat too....

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum yum!
    i make appe with similar masala, but using rava ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make these too but with the Set dosa batter which has turned sour, your look good Lavi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes laavanya, i would love to have a couple with my cuppa or even more!! looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey, I just LOVE these!!! We call them Paddu/Guliyappa in kannada. Yours looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who can resist Laavanya. I love both versions. Very nice. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  15. TBC, They don't taste as good when hot but once they cool down the sweetness comes through.

    Seema, That was on elaborate tea for sure... :)

    Raks, Ultra Grind is so convenient isn't it? I just add carrots to most everything I can in an effort to include some veggies.

    Rajitha... I wish there was a way to send them over to you right away!

    Miri, these are amazingly simple and easy to make if you have the pan.

    EC, I have a non-stick mould and it's pretty easy.

    Tee, oh yes! Thanks.

    Thank you Swaroopa and Happy Cook.

    Richa, i must try with rava.. no fermenting then right? Great idea - Thanks.

    Namratha, the set dosa batter is a great idea.

    Padmaja.. thank you! We did enjoy our rather elaborate tea.

    Thank you Ramya!

    Thank you Viji and Srivalli.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your comments on my blog.
    Your paniyarams have turned out well.
    I make savoury paniyarams with left over idli batter. They come out well and I do normally add fenugreek seeda to my idli/ dosa batter.
    And sweet ones with rice flour and the other ingredients. We call them neiyappam.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laavanya,
    sorry for my late comment. Actually, I've been trying to post a comment from the time you posted it. But something or the other was going on. As soon as I saw your pics, I was soooo tempted that I did tadka in my dosa batter,added onions and chillies and made paniyarams. Will folllow your measures next time and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi laavanya.
    thank you for your lovely and delicious paniyaram. it turn out very nice and fluffy. all of us prefer the sweet ones. tq my dear. keep up your good work. a great appreciation from all of us from Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aparna, Thank you.

    Kribha, no problem abt not being able to comment right away- u are very sweet... I do that pretty often when the dosa batter is old... :)

    Anonymous, I'm so happy to know that you liked the recipe. Adding the bananas makes these nice and soft. Thank you so much for your precious feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kuzhi Paniyarams were sooper good. My wife tried it and it was absolutely fantastic and mouthwatering. Thanks for the recipe. Karthik and Priya

    ReplyDelete
  21. Karthik, thank you for the great review and for trying this out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts