Carrot & Peas Sandwich

Cold mornings demand hot breakfasts... As winter sets in, the usual cereal just doesn't do the trick anymore so this hot sandwich with a creamy vegetable filling is just the perfect replacement. This also gives you a head start to your vegetable-quota for the day and is something that kids will enjoy too because of the little cheese that gets into the mix. This is easy enough to make on a weekday because the filling can be made ahead and refrigerated... a little thawing is needed after which it will heat through when making the sandwich.

I use an electric sandwich maker but if you don't have one, make them on a tawa.
CARROT-PEAS SANDWICH
Ingredients:
Bread Slices - 8, white or whole wheat
Carrots - 2 medium, peeled and chopped into small pieces
Peas - about 1/2 cup (I used frozen)
Onion - half of a small one, chopped finely
Green Chillies - 2, chopped finely
Coriander leaves - 1 to 2 tbsp, chopped
Grated Cheese - 1/4 to 1/3 cup (I used pepper jack)
Salt & Pepper - to taste
Butter or Margarine - as required to make sandwiches.

Method:
1) Microwave the carrots and peas with little water on high (covered) for 5 to 7 minutes till soft. Allow to cool lightly and mash (can be a bit coarse).

2) Mix the onions, green chillies, coriander leaves, cheese, salt and pepper with this carrot-peas mixture till well integrated (a fork works best). At this point you can refrigerate this or proceed to make the sandwiches.


3) Butter the bread slices on one side. Apply the filling on the un-buttered side and close with another slice. Pop them in the sandwich maker till done and golden brown. Serve warm with some ketchup or as-is.

Comments

  1. Nice one Laav! I make the same with all mixed veggis with some masala & stuff in & toast just like yours.. even left over sabji inside as filling tastes good! My Co-Sister puts in a layer of green chutney too & keeps filling,& sometimes tops in a slice of cheese too - thats Yum yum too!! Lots of variations...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice sandwich laavanya. I usually stuff my leftover dry vegetable and make sandwich. But I've not tried this. Will do it for this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy laav..love stuffed sandwiches...liked adding the grated chese in..i usually use sliced one..this is better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look good Laavanya. Mint chutney would be perfect with this. Who said no chutney for bfast :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love these suffed sandwiches...i do make wid leftover veggies...urs sounds yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, L. I've only made these with leftover potato sabji:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love s/w with all those yum filling. for me it is lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lavanaya, boy it so boring to make the same cheese sandwich every day, thanks for the recipe it a welcome change for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely a great idea - never would've thought about eating carrots and peas for breakfast, but hey .. why not?!

    On another note, do you have a good appetizer recipe you could share? I'm having a cocktail party with heavy hors d'oevres served by a tray pass. I'd like to make ahead if possible. Have done various samosas before but would like something different this time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too make sandwiches with leftover veggies and at times this carrot-peas one...we prefer this compared to potatoes..ur looks yummy and perfect

    ReplyDelete
  11. am a sandwich lover, laav, so bookmarked it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks very nice laavanya and your picture is also good:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the sandwich filling! The picture looks very inviting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am getting my sandwich-maker out of the cupboard as I type! Lunch today - no worries!

    VegeYum

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun and kid-friendly idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey lady ..this is really nice ..one sandwich without aloo ....really nice

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been craving for these stuffed sandwiches a lot now. Blame it on the winters though :-) I loved your simple yet delicious idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I make sandwhiches with leftover veggies..I mix them with cream cheese,spices and grill them..leftover meat is also added..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I usually add more veggies to this. Carrots and peas are meant to go hand in hand, should try this combo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am feeling hungry agaiin..:(((((((((((((((((((((((

    all becoz of ur lovely sandwiches..:D

    ~ Siri

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks great Lavanya! Should start making this for breakfast soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. lavanya those sandwitches look soo colorfulll and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these sandwiches laavanya... they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. quick and easy sandwich for weekday lunch... and the list of all the things you've made is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Seema! Those are some lovely ideas.. Will give that a shot.

    Thanks Kribha, hope you got a chance to try this and liked it.

    Rajitha, thanks.. me too. Try this sometime.

    Suganya, Thanks. Mint chutney would be perfect.

    Remya, I do that too sometime. once my MIL put some dry manchurian and it was awesome too. Thanks for your kind words.

    TBC, Potato sabzi is super tasty too.

    Richa, I've had this with a soup for lunch too... :)

    Sreelu, thanks.. Hope you enjoy this.

    Liz.. Thank you. Why don't you check my appetizer section.. The fried tofu, tandoori paneer, bread cups, vegetable puffs (using puff pastry sheets) would be great as hors d'oevres.

    Thanks EC - i like them both.

    Seena, hope you try this sometime.

    Thank you Raks, Tee, Cynthia, Deepa and VegeYum.

    Red Chillies, me too. This won't disappoint you.

    Rachel, what a fabulous idea that is. I love cream cheese and will keep your tip in mind.

    Thanks Shweta.

    Siri.. i'm sorry i made you hungry again!

    Jyothsna, thank you!

    Thank you Sagari, Anu and Mandira for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This ones indeed simple and fast!!! I'm gonna try it sometime during the week, thanx!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. A kid's meal. Easy and colourful to attract them. Nice one Laavanya. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very simple and tasy receipe. Made it and liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you Anon - it's one my favorite sandwiches too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts