Cream of Mushroom Soup


There's this wonderful restaurant in Singapore called Marché on Orchard Road which is rather different from the others. They have several stalls where they make pizzas, pastas, stir-frys, rostis, have an array of soups, salads, desserts, crepes both savoury and sweet, waffles and so on... We just have to walk around, pick whatever we like and get to see everything being made right in front of our eyes. The entire setting is very nice and it used to be one of our favorite places. I particularly liked their Rosti with a dollop of sour cream, their earthy mushroom soup and their dessert crepes.

When I made this mushroom soup based on a recipe I have from a book that my cousin gave me, it tasted exactly like the one that I had at Marché, and was an instant hit. This is a crowd pleaser for sure and is a favorite with kids too. If you feel indulgent, substitute the milk with cream but I've never had the need to do so, because this is very satisfying as is.

CREAM of MUSHROOM SOUP


Ingredients:

Mushrooms (white button) - 1 pack (8 oz), chopped
Vegetable stock - 2 cups
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Onion - 1/4, chopped
Celery - 2 stalks, chopped
Italian seasoning - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli flakes - 1/2 tsp
Milk - 150 ml
Flour - 1 tbsp
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1) Heat oil in a deep pan, add onion, celery and sauté for a few minutes. Later, add mushrooms and continue to fry till cooked down.


2) Stir in the flour. Then add the italian seasoning (or mixed herbs) , red chilli flakes, salt and the vegetable stock along with required amount of water. Bring this to a boil and then reduce flame, allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.

3) Remove from stove and allow this to cool slightly. Puree this along with the cold milk. Make it smooth or slightly coarse based on your preference. At times I keep aside 2-3 tbsp of the mixture (without blending it) so as to lend some texture to the soup.

4) Return to pan and let this heat through, adjust salt and pepper to taset. Now you are ready for a warm, comforting mushroom soup.


Comments

  1. Yummmmmm! mushroom soup is my fav, I had some for lunch today, but your looks much nicer. I must start making yummy soups. Winter is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious soup. My husband loves mushroom soup and i make them sometime, i add a bit of cream also to thesoup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. isn't it fun to re-create our fav restaurant dishes at home ;) don't mean to take away their clientele....lol!
    soup looks so thick n creamy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. am a soup person..so into all types of soups...arent they so comforting...makes u filled up without that unconfortable bloated up feeling..! I esp loved that cracker floting on top of that creamy soup

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mushroom soup...will definitely try this one out! I have been to Marche in Canada...loved that place and what great food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow yummy soup...it looks good..i love mushrooms but never tried ..will try ur version some time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lavanya......Lovely looking Mushroom soup....looks like a comfort soup...YUM :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is perfect for the weather we're having here...'tis the season for soups now:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laav- Perfect soup, looks rich, thick & delicious!!So you learnt the trick to making your favourite soup.. great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Saju. It is soup weather now.

    Happy Cook, cream will definitely make it tasty and creamy. Milk works pretty well.

    True Richa.. now that I can't go to Marche anymore it was a good feeling to be able re-create the soup. :) Thank you.

    Me too.. Dhivya.. I love soups but have to make them more appealing and spicy for my husband. I wanted to add croutons but didn't have any so went with the cracker instead. This soup is perfect to be sopped up with some garlic bread actually.

    Tee, great to hear that there's a Marche in Canada... which city would that be? It's great isn't it? Hope you try the soup someday. Lemme know.

    Shanti, I hope you try it. I love the spicy feeling the red pepper and pepper gives this soup.

    Thank you Sirisha, it sure was yummy.

    Definitely TBC. I'm craving soups and casseroles with the colder weather that is so prevalent.

    Thank you Seema.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum Yum...Just perfect for the season. I see that your soup is nice and thick without the addition of cream. Nice recipe and pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy... this one's a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. cream and mushroom! yummmmmy..

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is one soup i still haven't tried yet. considering hw much i love mushrooms i wonder why i haven't tried it yet. thanks lav. bookmarked and will be trying it pretty soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. you know just a few days back i was thinking of making mushroom soup and was planning to look at some recipe books for some inspiration...now i have urs for inspirating re..looks great...i will try and ask jeeves how it is and let u know soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We love creamy soups.Sometimes I pack it for Trisha's lunch. Looks great Laavanya, good job!:))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now this is the kind of cream of... soup I'd eat, not the one in the cans :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I Love mushrooms. Will definitely try this next time i buy mushrooms.
    yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks so much for sharing. My family loves this soup and we frequented that joint just for the soup. now I make it often and enjoy the compliments they shower on me. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Regina for trying out this soup and ur feedback :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts