Biscotti

The very first time I tasted Biscotti, I didn't take to it very much and later found that it was not the biscotti itself but the almond extract added to it. Over time, I have started liking those that don't have an overpowering taste of almond extract and have grown to love the not-so-sweet, so very dunkable biscottis. After reading through a few recipes it seemed like it was quite easy to do and in my search for a good one I came across this at the Allrecipes website that was lower fat and used olive oil instead of butter. I've made this a couple times (with a few alternations) and it's worked out great always so wanted to share this simple and delicious recipe and also send this as my entry to Zlamushka's Spoonful of Christmas Event.

These biscottis are studded with bits of sweetened cranberries, almonds and chocolate-chip. Feel free to substitute these with your favorite flavorings/nuts, dip them in melted chocolate or drizzle with some white chocolate. I just kept these simple. Biscotti, means Twice Baked and that's exactly what has to be done. They are baked first as logs which result in a slightly soft cookie which is later sliced into thinner cookies and baked again to crispy perfection.

CRANBERRY-ALMOND-CHOCOLATE BISCOTTI


Ingredients:
All-purpose flour - 1 cup
Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour - 3/4 cup (or 3/4 cup All purpose flour)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Eggs - 2 (I replaced one with 1/4 cup Egg Beaters)
Vanilla Essence - 2 tsp
Orange Zest - 1 tsp (optional)
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp (if using salted nuts, omit or reduce salt)
Craisins (Sweetened Dried Cranberries) - 1/2 cup
Semi-sweet Chocolate chips - 1/2 cup
Almonds (unsalted) - 1/2 cup, chopped

Method:
1) Pre-heat oven to 300F (150C). Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

2) In a big bowl, beat oil and sugar till well-blended (a few mins). Mix in the vanilla essence and beat in the eggs.

3) In a separate bowl, combine the flours, salt and baking powder with a whisk. Gradually stir this into the egg mixture. Next, mix in the cranberries, almonds and chocolate-chips.

4) Spoon out the mixture into 2 equal logs. Wet hands with cool water and shape the dough into uniform logs (this ensures that the dough doesn't stick to your hand).
5) Bake this for 35 mins or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.

6) When cool enough to touch, slice the logs at an angle to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices.
7) Lay them flat, back on the parchment covered cookie sheet and allow to bake for about 20-25 minutes extra or until dried out. I flipped them over after the first 10 minutes. Remove it sooner if you want them slightly chewy instead of crisp. I like them crisp so had them in for about 20-25 mins.
8) Allow to cool, so they can crisp-up and store in an airtight container.

Comments

  1. Ah, these look delightful, Laavanya! I think the "real" authentic biscotti are indeed made with olive oil and contain no butter at all. I have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby loves the biscottis at Starbucks, but we don't get it often considering the cost-factor. Your biscottis look super good and yummy. I'll surely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lavayna, excellent recipe I was looking for a recipe to make some speciality cookies . Can't wait to try this

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds and looks wonderful, L!
    I like almost everything u post. Looks like I have to make a separate folder just for your recipes!:-)
    That is such a nice entry for the event...so who are u sending these to? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. laav..i have never had biscotti..somehow the way they look has put me off..but i'm pretty sure that what u make will taste good..so i will give these guys a try..they look really nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Biscotti looks wonderful! I have not eaten biscotti that often, but the few times i did, i loved it ...i am going to bookmark this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Biscotti is delicious and yours look so 'christmassy' Lavaanya :)Nice recipe, will give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  8. I m droolig at the site of these gorgeous biscotti.

    ReplyDelete
  9. must have smelled delicious while baking. looks very chewy and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  10. look wonderful...this gets bookmarked....:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely flavours. they loks gorgeous. i haven't warmed up to biscotti yet. this would be a good way to start.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laavanya!!
    Those look so crunchy!! Amazing recipe and amazing biscottis!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice looking Biscotti Lavanya...Looks great with that gift satin ribbon tied over it..!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful biscottis...hubby is a great fan of these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow these look so darn good. I have been seeing so many biscotti recipes, n my hubby loves them, that I think I shoudl give them a try. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My my they just looks so good. Would love to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. yup, sometimes those extracts do get overpowering!!
    biscotti's look d-lish, Laavanya! almonds and choc, slurrrp :)
    they look perfect, too good!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love biscotti..... Hey! mail me my christmas goodies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nupur, Thanks. Yes I read that apparently olive oil allows the flavors to develop and that butter may cause it to get rancid. Do try. I loved the looks of the chocolate biscotti you posted.

    Kribha, these are very easy to make and a whole lot cheaper. Do try and let me know.. :)

    Sreelu, Thank you.. HOpe you make and enjoy these.

    Awww TBC, that's awfully sweet of you to say. :) Thank you so much.

    Rajitha, oh really? I think it's not like a usual cookie.. it takes a couple bites to start liking it? I didn't like them initially but do now. Thanks for your sweet words.

    Tee, thank you. Hope you get a chance to try these.

    Namratha, Thanks. The original recipe called for pista & cranberry, perfect christmas colours.

    Thank you Pooja.

    Nags, they were crispy actually since i like them better that way and you are right, it did smell good.

    Thank you Arundati.

    Bee, definitely. You can maybe halve the recipe and try it for starters.

    Padmaja.. thank you so much.. they were super crispy.

    Raks, thank you.. i had to dress them up for Zlamushka's event :)

    Shella, these are pretty easy to make.. do try them when you get a chance.

    Thank you Happy Cook.

    Richa, thanks.. i loved all the additions too and i tried to make it a bit more healthier than the choc-chip cookies my husband and daughter normally eat.

    Seema, maybe I will mail you some of these (well not these but a fresh batch!). You and TBC are topping my list for now.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved your Biscotti.... They look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Laavanya, this is a perfect combo biscotti. Love them. Very nice presentaion.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made these already and sent them to Zlamushka's event days ago:) I added pistachios, and as I made them for HotM, I was extra careful about the healthy issue:)check this out:

    http://funnfud.blogspot.com/2007/10/heart-healthy-cranberry-and-pistachio.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very very inviting biscotti's ...I will surely give them a try ...awesome they looks....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome Biscottis Laavanya... Look amazing...:))

    - Siri

    ReplyDelete
  25. lovely and yummy biscottis lavanyaa

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely biscuits laavanya! But I will make them without eggs! :) Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Laavanya, they are perfect in shape and crispness. Nice presentation. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love biscotti and thanks for this lovely recipe. Pictures look very helpful in making them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ramya, Thank you so much for your kind words.

    Thank you Rina.

    Mansi I did see your recipe earlier.. nice biscottis.

    Thank you Deepa, Siri and Sagari.

    Latha mami, Thank you. Waiting for your eggless recipe.

    Viji, so good to have you back. Hope you had a great trip.

    Pravs, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey thanx for the reminder. I almost missed these. Funny how biscotti rule the food as a gift world :-) At least so far it looks so.

    Thanx for participating, I am so in love with them. I don't find them overpowering at all. My favorite sweet treat, actually ...

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks so good. I eat biscotti but never thought of making it. Have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks very professional. Perfectly made..
    You should taste Italian biscottis (esp venice) simply superb.
    I am bookmarking this. will try when i get into baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Made them over the weekend. Turned out awesome. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Poonam - thank you so much for trying and am so glad it worked out well for you too. This is something I've made countless times and has always left pple clamoring for more... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts