YardLong Beans Thoran

Yard Long Beans are the long, thin, dark green beans that you find in many korean supermarkets here in the US and these are quite popular in India too. I meant to take a picture before I started to chop them up but forgot so here's a picture from Wikipedia.



I had a thoran made with these at Shobana periamma's place and loved it. My mother-in-law also makes a lip-smacking thoran with this. During my initial attempts at making this I couldn't get it to cook properly but now it works out fine when I follow this method:


YARDLONG BEANS THORAN



Ingredients

Yardlong beans - 1 bunch, ends trimmed, chopped fine
Onion - 1/2, chopped fine
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
Salt

To Grind:

Coconut - 2 to 3 tbsp, shredded
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 6
Garlic - 1 small to medium clove

Method:

1. Heat oil in a wide, shallow pan, add mustard seeds and urad dhal, once they crackle add the curry leaves. Now add the chopped onions and saute till light brown.

2. Next add the chopped beans and some salt. Saute this for about 5 minutes after which 1/3rd cup of water should be added. Cover the pan and keep on a med. to med - high flame. Check the pan often since the water will evaporate super-fast. Toss and repeat this until the beans are almost done.

3. Add the ground coconut paste at this point and let this cook until completely done and the thoran is now ready.

This is my entry for Nupur's 'Y' of Indian Vegetables .

Comments

  1. I love Yard long beans too,reminds me of Mangalore! Looks like a easy and delicious recipe:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is thatta payiru or karamani. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right asha... you must try it.

    Suganya - thanks.. I was trying to remember what my mom used to call them while I typed out the post and just couldn't. Those are the exact 2 words that evaded me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back in India, I used to love eating these yard long beans raw... just by themselves! :) The thoran looks good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a kid I never liked these beans, but loved them whe my MIL made for me...and now this one I am going to make for my MIL...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Laavanya, I thought long and hard about Y veggies but never thought of yardlong beans!! Very clever and creative of you! The thoran looks like the perfect accompaniment to a home-style meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Long beans are always tasty.
    Lovely presentation and yummy thoran.
    Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laavanya, thanks for visiting my blog! Your thoran looks scrumptious! I love yardlong beans -- great idea for "y" and now I can try your recipe too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thoran looks nice, the ground mix must really bring out the taste :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts