Sorakkai-Channa Dhal Poriyal
This is a moist, mild poriyal made with Sorakkai (Lauki, Bottle Gourd) and Channa dhal.
I usually have Sorakkai made into a kofta but since that involves deep-frying, I've been trying different recipes and have a few favorites... this is one of them. My friend Raji, a very good cook, is the one that introduced me to this dish.
SORAKKAI-CHANNA DHAL PORIYAL
Sorakkai - 1, chopped into cubes
Channa dhal - 1/3 cup, soaked in warm water for 30 mins/1hr
Onions - 1/2 medium, chopped
Green Chillies - 8 to 10, slit into two
Curry Leaves - Few
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad Dhal - 1/4 tsp
Grated Coconut - 2 to 3 tbsp
Salt, to taste
Asafoetida, a pinch
Oil - 1 tsp
1. Heat oil, season with mustard, urad dhal, asafoetida, curry leaves.
2. Now add onions and green chillies and saute for a few minutes until they soften. Make sure it doesn't get brown.
3. Add the soaked Channa dhal and sorakkai pieces alongwith salt and about 1/3 cup water.
4. Cover and allow to cook on a medium flame until it's soft and the water has evaporated.
5. Add grated coconut, mix well and serve.