Chidambaram Gotsu

I don't remember now where I got this recipe from but I had heard that Gotsu is pretty famous at Chidambaram and so gave this recipe a shot and we really liked it at home. I have made a few different versions of Gotsu before but somehow this is the one we liked the most so have to stuck to it since then. I normally serve this with Ven Pongal. Not having the privilege of tasting the actual version of Chidambaram Gotsu ever before, I can't vouch for the authenticity of the recipe but I can guarantee that this is delicious and spicy to boost.

I saw this as a good candidate for JFI-Chillies hosted this month by Nandita since this recipe contains both green and red chillies.

CHIDAMBARAM GOTSU


Ingredients:

Long Purple Brinjals - 3, finely diced
Onion - 1, finely chopped
Green Chillies - 2, finely chopped
Tamarind juice - 2 to 3 tbsp
Curry Leaves - few
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt, to taste

Roast and Grind:
Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
Kadalai paruppu (Channa dhal) - 1 tbsp
Dried Red Chillies - 2 or 3

Method:
1. Heat oil, add mustard seeds and once they crackle add the curry leaves, onions and green chillies.

2. After the onions soften a bit, add the eggplant pieces and some salt and cook until the eggplant softens and is almost cooked.

3. Now add the tamarind juice and the ground powder with sufficient water and let this boil for about 5 to 10 minutes.

4. Gotsu is now ready to be served with Ven Pongal, Dosas or Idlis.

Comments

  1. Thought of preparing Pongal for this Gotsu. Very nice Laavanya. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chidambaram Gotsu looks very comforting! A few weeks back I always had trouble finding recipes for brinjal..now I have so many that I want to try :) thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This gosthu was served in Chidambaram Natarajar Temple. And, hence the name. Its one of the older Tamilian recipes. Glad to see here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Gotsu seems realy nice, I actually am getting introduced to so many south indian recipes and want to try them all to impress my husband...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotsus goes well with idli too. Love to have it.Looks authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our own K'taka Gojju and your Gotsu sounds similar,I wonder they are the same.Looks delicious.I bought some Brinjals yesterday,will try.Great spicy entry,I like it:))

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sounds good....thanks for sharing

    Srivalli
    www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. one more yummy recipe to try with my garden brinjals :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotsu looks good.It is so difficult to find good brinjal recipes so I buy them only occasionally. Have to try this out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Viji, yes the two make a very good combination. Mild pongal with spicy Gotsu.

    Ha ha... too many recipes not enough brinjals huh tee?

    Thanks for the info Suganya. So, have you tasted the authentic one?

    Bhags, am sure your husband will be impressed by all the efforts you are taking. It's sweet of you.

    Yes Seec, idlis will be a good combination as well.

    Asha, it's good to hear that the karnataka version is similar... I should look it up on your blog.

    Thanks Srivalli.

    Richa and TBC, do give it a try sometime and let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not an eggplant fan.... but the name sounds very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi!
    I love pongal and gotsu! this seems to be a different version which i have not heard! looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. waw I love gotsu, that too eggplant gotsu sounds yummy yum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Laavanya,

    Hmm...Gotsu with venpongal is perfect combo...Looks good....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a big fan of gotsu. Love your vegetable pictures from the previous post.

    Kanchana

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow this Gotsu is very delicious especially with pongal.The name is new to me and I am going to make it. You can visit my blog view my recipe and give ur comments on them

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts