Tamarind-Date Chutney & a tasty snack

We all love chaats and most chaats are spiced up with a delicious array of chutneys of which the most popular ones are the green chutney and this tangy, sweet tamarind chutney which is my absolute favorite. It has a light spicy kick to it and is lip smackingly good and there have been so many occassions when I've just had this plain. After seeing how easy it is to whip this up, i've stopped buying it from the store and use it on so many items like bhel puri, ragda patties, dahi vadas etc.

TAMARIND DATE CHUTNEY


Ingredients:

Tamarind/Puli - 1/4 cup, soaked in warm water for 15-20 mins
Dates - 1/2 cup, seeds removed (I used seedless)
Jaggery (Vellam)/Brown sugar - 3/4 cup, powdered
Ginger - half inch piece, crushed/grated
Chilli powder, Cumin powder - half teaspoon each
Garam masala - a pinch
Salt - to taste

Method:
1) Extract juice from the soaked tamarind and keep aside.

2) In a pan, add the tamarind extract, coarsely chopped dates, jaggery and sufficient water. Allow to boil, then reduce flame and allow to cook for about 15 mins or so till the dates soften.
3) Allow this to cool a bit and blend together till smooth.
4) Return to the pan, add the masala powders and salt to taste and cook till it thickens sufficiently.
5) Cool and serve or store in an airtight bottle in the refrigerator.

Here's a quick snack that I put together with some leftover Punjabi Chole and some Aloo Tikkis... Top the tikkis with channa masala, freshly cut onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves and drizzle green chutney and this tamarind date chutney, topped with sev for a flavor explosion that is sure to tantalize your taste buds:


ALOO TIKKI CHANNA CHAAT

Comments

  1. god oh god..oh god!!!....i want to relocate and buy a home next to yours...i will babysit for food ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know for your that the sour-tartness will be balanced out in an amazing way with the date. I am drooling at the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made the chutney at home...have always just bought it from the Indian store. In fact, just bought a small bottle yesterday.:)

    If I ever decide to make it at home, I'll know where to look for a good recipe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thats looking sooooooooooo good who say no to this chats.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this chaat, too! And I was laughing hysterically over your comment about thavalai vadai and aamai vadai. But, it's so true, illa? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been craving for this chutney from last week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love all sort of Chat items,I wud love to try this chutney,starred and kept in reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even i prepared a big batch of this chutney recently..Just love it..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Next time with my aloo chaat I'll have this chutney.My fav is usually the mint counterpart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WIsh i had this, super delcious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. am drooling here looking at that picture..i love adding dates too to the chutney..

    ReplyDelete
  12. muuuu mouthwatering I like metha chutney in my chats yummmy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always prefer date chuntney over the other tow spicy ones...looks simply yum....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have bookmarked..looks absolutley delicious..:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great recipe..i hav all the ingredients at home,hav to try this..thanx for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm drooling for this recipe.. so creative and sooo Delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that looks so delicious, I love aloo tikki with tamarind chutney :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We too make this tamarind and date chutney, chaats look mouth watering, m craving for some now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I looked at this chutney and instantly thought about bhel. Gosh, how I would love some chaat right now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow tempting...never made at home ..snack is delicous

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rajitha, I shall willingly take you up on that offer and now's a great time to buy in our neighbourhood :D

    That's so true Cynthia.

    TBC, it's surprisingly easy - i used to buy too.

    Thank you Pavithra.

    Kalai :)

    You are welcome Lavanya

    Raks - thanks.. when you do, let me know how you liked it.

    Prathiba - good to know.. It's always a yummy one to have on hand.

    Lata akka - yes, do try. I like the green chutney and this combination.

    Thank you Happy cook, sowmya, rekhas kitchen, Chithra, Vrinda & Ann & Gita.

    Parita, I made this a while ago but looking at that chaat i wanted to have a bowlful rightaway.. thanks.

    Vaishali, i'm game for chaat anytime too.

    Thank you vanamala.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love chaat foods, this chutney is a delicasy...

    ReplyDelete
  23. tamarind and date..perfect comb and that too for chutney..will work gr8 with anything i guess

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this chutney .. adds a zing to chaats

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a yummy combo chutney and a delectable chaat......yumyum

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have always picked up swad tamarind dates chutney to make all chats....this is indeed a perfect recipe.I will try this now.thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree, store brought chutneys just does not do it.Liked your version of the chutne. The Aloo Chana Tikki chaat looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Laavanya, One dish that can tempt me anytime, anyehere. That pic looks so fresh, crunchy and inviting. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  29. imli chutney with dates is really tasty and with aloo tikki it is a superhit combination

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this with any chaat.your pic makes me to drool...i'm going to make some chaat and chutney...:))

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum, can you pass some my way please? :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yummy chutney Laavanya...i prefer this one with all the chat :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. yummy chutney my dadi used to prepare this,,,;-)and the chat looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  34. This chutney is so versatile and looks delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow Tamarind and Dates? Am not aware of this chutney. but that sure seems like a great combo yaar...

    Aloo tikki looks superb...ofcourse anything with aloo is yummy yum. I just posted aloo halwa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts