Bread Upma

I tried this bread upma recipe from Menu Today's blog and absolutely loved it and now this has become a standard method of preparation at our place. My MIL makes this differently where she first makes coarse bread crumbs and even adds eggs sometimes - my husband likes that version a lot too. This one just uses chunks of bread and has a slight tang from the yogurt and is quite spicy too. I've made a few variations to include more veggies, depending on what I have on hand but otherwise follow her recipe pretty much.

BREAD UPMA


Ingredients:

Bread slices - 12 to 15
Yogurt/Curd (thick) - 2 tbsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp, or to taste
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala / Curry Masala powder - 1/4 tsp
Onions - 1 large, sliced thinly and then into 1 inch pieces
Tomato - 1 small to medium, chopped
Green chillies - 4 to 5, slit in two
Ginger - half inch piece, chopped finely/grated
Carrot - 1 or 2, grated
Green bell peppers/Capsicum - 1 small, cut into 1 inch pieces
Salt - to taste
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Sombu (Fennel seeds) - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a twig
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, chopped
Oil - 2 to 3 tbsp

Method:
1) Cut each slice of bread into about 16 cubes (depends on the size of the bread slices and how big you want the chunks to be).

2) In a large bowl, combine the yogurt with the chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and some salt... add the bread cubes to this, mix gently until the mixture coats the bread pieces and allow to marinate for about 15 to 20 mins.

3) In a big, wide pan, heat oil and season with mustard seeds and sombu. Next add the green chillies, onion, ginger and fry till they wilt. Then add the capsicum pieces & grated carrot and cook till they soften.

4) Now the tomatoes go in with a bit of salt so it helps them turn mushy . Now add the marinated bread pieces and stir gently so it's evenly coated. Cook this on a medium flame, tossing every once in a while until the bread pieces get roasted.

5) Finally switch off the stove and toss in the coriander leaves. Yummy bread upma is ready to serve as is or with some ketchup.


This makes for a delicious breakfast and I would like to send this to Divya's Show me your breakfast event.

Comments

  1. Thats really easy to make and gr8 dish.. Its my fav too.. love to eat anytime. Looks tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very delicous bread upma...I make a simple bread upma with seasonning...I must try your version soon...colorful and yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must make once bread upma, i have never made them and thislooks so spicy delcious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i make this too but necer added yogurt ..ust try this next time .. its quick & tasty isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i made this just few days back,love your version, will try sometime

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely and quite an easy dish, looks delicious and eyecatching colour..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love bread upma..this is a great recipe, looks yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laavanya, you mayn't believe me, but I've been thirsting for bread upma so often that I've bought bread twice in the last month (I don't eat much bread) and given it away before I could make it! I loved the bread upma my grand would make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks truly delicious. I make bread upma often but just with the minimal ingredients. This looks like a great variation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum! i make it appx. the same way without the yogurt...actually it is a new thing for me! should try it. I do add bell peppers tho..adds a good crunch and the cooking time is the same as the onion...

    Rajitha

    ReplyDelete
  11. love bread upma, easy n yummy at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice one for a quick and easy breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laav thanx for the idea of marinating in yoghurt.I was sprinkling water while it cooked for most time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too make this upma every now and then, but just run the bread thro' the processor and pulse it to get coarse crumbs (similar to your MIL's mtd, I think).
    This is such a good way to use up stale/leftover bread.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow..never knew of making it with curds..will try it next time..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Quick and delicious upma.Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like this version of bread upma...will try it soon !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks gr8 I tot you had deep fried the bread by the look of it...wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never tried making bread upma. This one is a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. good one for the event...looks yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  21. I lov upma,this bread upma looks totally different,never tried with yogurt,will try it soon...yummy

    ReplyDelete
  22. adding yogurt and marinating is new to me. looks so good that i am bookmarking.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a very unusual dish, I am intrigued by the other version with coarse crumbs and eggs too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thats a nice version of this......looks yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  25. great recipe...looks very delicous.. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey

    Thanks a ton for sharing this recipe. For working moms like me, it is so easy to make and yes, definitely healthy and tasty for fussy food eaters. I think your recipe is sure to get my fussy three year old keen to wipe the plate clean, touchwood, so please keep sharing such helpful recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow...new and looks drool worthy.....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Am glad you all enjoyed this easy & yummy upma.

    Gentle Lavender, thank you so much for your kind words - hope your 3 yr old enjoys this. I made my version a bit too spicy for my daughter (also 3 yrs old) so she ate only a little.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loved your version of bread upma, I have never quite made it this way....looks delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow it looks hot and spicy and inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have 2 standard variations of bread upma... should try this with yogurt :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. oh i am loving this upma.. i tried this and having it right now for lunch :) the texture of the bread is so good. addition of yogurt makes the difference. yummy. thanks laavanya for this awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mahima, so thrilled to here that you tried and liked this version of bread upma :) Thank you so much for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow... Tried it and came out well! My son said yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Please help. I have tried thrice and everytime I am getting it like an ordinary upma (more watery actually!). Am I missing something?

    The last I tried was to dip the bread in buttermilk and quickly take it out so it does not get more of buttermilk. Yet it came out more like a paste.

    When I tried with just yougure.. it was nothing different from the ordinary dry bread upma.. Please help

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous1 - thanks for your feedback.. glad that your son liked it :) Always extra happy when kids like it.

    Anonymous2 - I'm trying to see what could cause the problems you are having with this dish... Are you using 2 tbsp of thick curds as per the recipe? It doesn't need a lot.. just a little bit to give it a bit of tang and some slight moisture.. As you can see from the picture it is not very differnt from the usual bread upmas & is on the dry side.
    Dipping in buttermilk won't work because that will make it too watery, as you've already discovered. I'm still not sure what exactly the problem is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts