Falafel

Falafels are yummy, fried chickpea patties and when stuffed in a pita bread with some cucumber, tomato, onions and lettuce - it makes for a delightful & tasty sandwich. I had quite a few extra and though they are delicious all by themselves as a snack, I froze the leftovers and heated them up and used them like burger patties - worked great. Though this is a middle-eastern snack it has a lot of the indian spices going in and so really appeals to our palate.

UPDATE: 7/Aug/2012 - Instead of deep frying the patties,  bake at 375F for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping over once in between and then shallow fry with a few tsp of oil on a tawa or shallow pan.

FALAFELS (Chickpea/Channa Patties) - makes 20 1.5 to 2 inch patties


Ingredients:White Channa / Chickpeas (dry) - 1 cup, soaked overnight in plenty of water
Onion - 1 medium
Garlic cloves - 2 to 3
Chilli powder - about a tsp (or to taste)
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Cumin powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Salt & Black Pepper - to taste
Sesame seeds - 1 to 2 tbsp (optional)
Oil - sufficient to fry the patties

Method:1) Rinse the well-soaked chickpeas. Puree the onion and garlic in a blender and add the soaked chickpeas (in batches, depending on your blender) & puree it all together. It will be a little grainy & pasty (not chunky) for most part. Preferably no water should be added but if you absolutely must, add the bare minimum.

2) Add the masala powders, sesame seeds, coriander leaves , baking powder & salt & pepper to taste to the chickpea paste. Mix well and refrigerate for a while ( a couple of hours if you can).

3) Heat the oil for deep frying and make patties of this mixture and drop in hot oil & fry till golden. Ensure that the flame isn't too high because they will brown without cooking well on the inside. Drain on paper towels and eat by themselves or as a sandwich/burger.

Comments

  1. wow...yummy falafels dear! I love them as an evening snack just by themselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a version of this, pan roasted chickpea cutlets in my blog too. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Falafels are one of my favorites, but it's been a while since I have made them. I used to make a baked version that I really enjoy.

    Your post has me craving these delightful treats! I think I must make some soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely and delicious falafels! Love to have both as a snack and sandwiched between pita bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love falafels...They look so yummy..Pass me some i will fill my pita pockets..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Falafels are just so delicious! Awesome recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, lovely color! looks soooo tempting Laavanya!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks absolutely delish!!Yummmy Yummyyyyyy....

    ReplyDelete
  9. patties look yumm...nice recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! Haven't had falafel in a while, now I am craving for some middle-eastern food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love .. been a while since I had them

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love falafel..perfect snack:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow,sounds gud,i hav never tried this before!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Falafels are my fav, but yet to post...quite long i have prepared this falafel, urs makes me hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laavanya, That is a delicious Falafel. having had them all over the Middle East, I chose to not deep fry but work it more cutlet like on a non-stick tawa.turns out equally well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hve heard lotz about them still to try,..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love falafel when we wer ein egypt w ehad them every day from the street side shops and they were so good. I totally agree it is like our indiansnacks with the spices in them.
    Looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh wow..i've heard abt this.but dont have any idea abt this..urs is looking gud..have bookmarked it:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This dish is new to me..never tried patties with chick peas,sounds delish...........

    ReplyDelete
  20. Felafel's an absolute hit in our home too-- what's not to love in fried chickpeas? Yours look delicious. Great color.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a baked version of this treat on my site too! Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow thats fav .. drooling and really tempting

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi lavanya,
    bright Falafels :) I love both fried and baked versions.nice post dear

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it with pita and hummus,Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yummyyyy is the word...u have tempted me ;) pbly tmrw i ll make this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow nice snack . i once made it,the pan roasted version.colur looks very much tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice desi version of the falafel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love love love falafal. Actually i have been wanting to go to Tiam after seeing it featured in the Throwdown with Bobby Flay....i am yet to make them at home tho....

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love these falafels.. Yummy! My favourite too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. They are my fav..looks great Lavs..:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. First time here.Falafels look yummy.Nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really have to try making falafel because I really like chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you all for your comments and I apologize for not being able to answer individually. I have tried the pan-roasted and baked versions but decided to indulge in the deep-fried version this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love falafel. didnt know it was so easy to make...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts