Pesarattu Vadai

Considering how adai is so well received at home, I expected pesarattu to get a similar reception and though the family ate it with no complaints the first day, my suggestion to have an encore for the following day's breakfast or dinner (since I had leftover batter) met with some grumblings. Not wanting to eat pesarattu as my breakfast for the next 4 to 5 days, I decided to make the batter more appealing to everyone and since all things fried go with my husband (refer to Sabudhana vadas), pesarattu vadas came into existence. They were delicious & disappeared in no time and very soon I was left with an empty container :)

I would recommend adding the veggies just before frying the batter or it can get watery. I made the mistake of letting it rest for a while since I had to attend to something else and so couldn't really shape the vadas properly. Dropping spoonfuls of the batter instead of doughnut shaped vadais didn't take away from the taste though.

PESARATTU / MUNG DHAL VADAIS


Ingredients for Pesarattu batter:
Whole Green Mung Dhal - 1 cup
Brown Rice - 1/4 cup
Green Chillies - 7 or 8
Ginger - half to 1 inch piece
Salt - to taste

1) Soak the Mung dhal and rice overnight. Grind along with green chillies, ginger & salt with water as required to make a slightly thick paste. Thin this down a bit to easily spread into dosas for the original pesarattu or keep it thick to make vadais.

Additions for the vadai:
Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Cabbage - 1 cup, chopped finely
Green Chillies - 4 to 5, chopped finely (since it's deep-fried, i wanted it to be spicy) OR Chilli powder - to taste
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, chopped finely
Salt - to taste, if required
Oil - to deep fry

Method:
1) Heat oil to deep fry. Add the onions, cabbage, chillies, coriander leaves and salt to the batter.
2) Drop small spoonfuls of the batter (so they are more crispy) into the medium-hot oil and cook till golden brown and crispy and cooked through on the inside.
3) Drain on paper towels and serve as is or with chutney.

Comments

  1. Wow pesarattu vadais sounds so tempting...they look so delicious and crispy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish i had some realy hot hot ones.
    Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely way to finnish the batter, looks so good, will work well for even tiffin too

    ReplyDelete
  4. i never thought of making vadais with moond dal. its looks real yum. I wish I could have some now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very yummy... and they look sooo crisp :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oho!! Look at you, clever girl. Moong dal and brown rice vada looks wonderful. I will try these this weekend for snacks, thanks Laavi! :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Necessity is the mother of invention :) Lovely vadais by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The vadais look so tempting...would love to have a bite...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard about pesarattu dosa, but pesaratu vada looks so much more enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great idea, Laavanya! Its not my way either to have the same breakfast for the next few days.. and my husband is worser than me.. I usually finish off the dosa batter by making kuzhi paniyaaram after 2 or 3 days.. but couldn't think of anything with pesarattu batter.. this is such a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same problem too, Laavanya! I first made pesarattu a few months back and then again more recently, last month. We don't care much for it (unlike adai which we never get tired of eating). I remember the leftover pesarattu batter being finished of with great difficulty the next day. I don't know if my proportions were off, but the resultant pesarattus were super dry and the raw taste of the green moong did not make for a very tasty meal.

    The vadas are a good idea. I cannot remember the last time I fried anything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool idea,first time I too had a hard time in finishing off the batter,but now a days,one cup is okay for our family:) Will try this next time:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. vadas look too good Laavs. nice idea too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow very creative.I too make this will left over adai maavu.adding veggies is good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vadas looking yummy.These are called pesara punukulu in Andhra.Cabbage is not added usually though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love pesarat, esp as I don't get it where I live. It's adai that's disappointed me every time I've eaten it - it always tastes raw. I've eaten a gravy made with fat pesarat pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i made vadais with the pesarattu batter long ago ..it was delicious..had forgoten this..thanks for reminding me..will try it..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the receipe. Looks great too.

    Please add your blog articles in www.newspaanai.com and share it with other readers worldwide.

    www.newspaanai.com is a tamil social bookmarking website where in you can post articles in english/tamil.

    For easy adding of your articles please visit

    http://www.newspaanai.com/easylink.php

    ReplyDelete
  19. u can send them for healthy birtes event,..;-)thy look so crips nd yum,..

    ReplyDelete
  20. So innovative...YEah here also it happens the very same..first day goes on well with these pesarattus,the l.o batter is always thrown :-(...very good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea! Only deep fried pesarattu can be better than regular pesarattu! When we visited thirupathi, we'd always stop at this one place and have their amazing pesarattu, I wish I remembered the restaurant name :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. vadai looks very yummy and crispy lavanys

    ReplyDelete
  23. they look soo yummy..what a wonderful way to use up leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. hi laav,

    the onion chutney is not bitter. we are adding equal quantity of coconut to offset the raw smell and bitterness... also tamarind is added for sourness. it's better to use red onions for this chutney.. tastes good.. not very obviously raw and smelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I knew abt pesarattu dosa but this is taking it one step further.....looks so good especially during these chilly days.

    ReplyDelete
  26. nice idea to finish leftover batter. and you make your pesarattu with brown rice? that's such a great one laavanya!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wonderful idea!! do u use any kind of brown rice?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pesarattu vadai sounds like a yum idea, looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. deep fried pesarattu maav...ha ha..that was good thinking laav :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so cool. U r so creative girl. Looks so good. YUM!. Will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you all. Looks like quite a few of us have trouble finishing the batter. Sahiti thanks for the info and the Andhra name.. I just added some cabbage for some added crunch - didn't disappoint me :)

    Aquadaze & Mallugirl, yes.. using brown rice for adai or pesarattu is a great way to sneak it in with no change to taste or texture.. DO try it. Mallugirl, I usually buy Uncle Ben's Brown Rice.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a brilliant idea Laavi, and a sure 'batter saver' :) Mom always told me to make pesarattu batter enough to last only for that day, coz it doesn't do good the next day. Now I know what I really can do with the leftovers, good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anything fried is always good :) Great idea Laavanya.

    ReplyDelete
  34. this is actually something that is made on Diwali in Sachin's side of the family :)

    Like vadai-payasam in my family, where the vadai is ulundu vadai, in his family, it is a pesarattu vadai of sorts... mung vadai :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts