Mixed Vegetable Poriyal

My mom would often make this poriyal and I find this to be substantial and interesting because of the mix of vegetables and the mung dhal. She used to steam them along with the idlis and use up one of the plates to save some time. Amma is an amazingly fast cook and can manage to whip up breakfast, rice, sambhar/kuzhambu, rasam and 2 veggies, pack everyone's lunchboxes and amidst all this go downstairs to buy veggies/greens from the vendors, help us with our requests to find certain clothes/books and quite a few other chores all in about an hour or max. 1 hr 15 minutes & then get ready to leave to work herself. I have no idea how she does this and that too with absolutely no preparation the previous night except for those occassions when vazhathandu or vazhaipoo are involved in which case they involve some prep work the night before. My dad sometimes steps in to lend a hand when it's a crazy day but for most part she can handle it all and has quite a few tricks up her sleeve to save time and multitask. I, however, operate differently and need a plan for everything before hand and am nowhere close to how fast she is.

Anyway coming back to the recipe... This is a simple poriyal/thoran depending on whether i simple add grated coconut towards the end or grind it with some g. chillies or cumin and stir it in but very tasty & wholesome.

MIXED VEGETABLE PORIYAL


Ingredients:
Carrot - 1 or 2, cut into small cubes
Beans - 15 to 20, chopped into small pieces
Cabbage - a small chunk chopped (I didn't add this time since I didn't have it)
Mung dhal (yellow split) - 3 tbsp, soaked in water for a while
Salt - to taste

To Grind:
Coconut - 2 tbsp
G. chillies - 4 to 5
Cumin seeds - half tsp

Seasoning:
Mustard seeds - half tsp
Urad dhal - half tsp
Red Chilli - 1
Curry leaves - few
Asafoetida - a pinch
Oil - 1 to 2 tsp

Method:
1) Mix all the veggies and mung dhal in a bowl, sprinkle some salt and a couple tbsp of water. Microwave on high for about 7 minutes or so till done.

2) Heat oil in a pan and season with mustard, urad dhal, red chilli, curry leaves & asafoetida. Add in the veggies and saute for a few minutes.. till all the water (if any) evaporates.

3) Stir in the ground coconut-chilli-cumin paste and cook for a few more minutes before switching off the stove. Alternately, you can skip the grinding part and just increase the number of red chillies while seasoning and sprinkle in grated coconut towards the end. Both methods yield tasty results and is just a matter of preference.

Comments

  1. mmm...looks very delicious...never used to like these poriyals especially ones with cabbage when i was home..but now totally miss them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy - the curry looks soo colourful :)
    and I think we can all learn a thing or two about time management and multi tasking from our mothers - I am also like you ... cannot function without a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom rocks. Multitasking, my kinda woman! :D

    Porial looks fabulous. You know this tastes so good with parathas too, I used to make this with chana dal and beans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom's are big multi-taskers, aren't they? It amazes me too how my mom managed with all 4 of us prepping breakfast, lunch, dress-up etc.. And I'm here struggling every morning with one daughter.. :)

    Poriyal looks too good, Laavanya! One of my favorite comfort foods..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very colorful, my sis makes it. Mom is always rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lavanya, poriyal looks superb. Lovely photo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still wonder about the number of tasks that moms did those days when I catch myself grumbling in the morning. This is a yummy combo and I love the way it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. moms are really great. Nobody can manage things like they do! poriyal looks so rich and mouth-watering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yumm...reminds me of amm's curry too...i have never made it yet! again..i do not know the last time i have cooked tradional food...actually my resolution for the year is to focus more on traditional food...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fresh and tasty, looks so good! Lots of good veggies here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't moms awesome...love this poriyal, looks colorful and yum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i make this all the time with my leftover vegetables ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hubbys favorite...very good one lavanya...i dont grind normally..ur idea sounds gr8

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum and healthy. Nice way to finish up all the remaining veggies in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Moms are amazing aren't they. Every time I look at her I feel I cannot even hold a candle to her.
    Your mom is amazing too, Laavanya. Just makes me feel blessed to have them in our lives.
    This idea of poriyal is new to me and adding moon daal is new as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you have a super-mom for sure!

    I like the idea of grinding the coconut and chilies to a paste. I just use plain coconut.

    I've tried microwaving mung dal and it frothed over and it was a mess in my microwave :(
    Do you cover the dal when you microwave?

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mom always adds moon dal to any kind of poriyal as its added protien,tastes great too!
    This one too I make but never tried grinding and adding coconut and green chillies like this! Looks so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pic itself is tempting.nice currry.
    adding moong dal is sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree.. this is very colourful and classifies as a rainbow :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. indeed very healthy..and looks colourful.. maybe i will make this for my son..he might like it too..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful colours, i know what you mean by saying your mom is fast in cooking, my mom is also like that and my sisters, they make indian dishe so fas and not ust one, few and i am like taking so long to make even onedish.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I almost forgot adding Dal to the Poriyal, i will try this soon for chapathi's.

    ReplyDelete
  23. looks so colourful,..;-)nad multitaskin i guess with time we ll ebcome perfect specially after gettin married and having kids,,;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. that looks colorful .. I too love the way my mom handles such multiple chores .. no matter what, whatever they made always tasted great

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the combo of veggies here....looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks lovely! Nice combination of veggies..

    ReplyDelete
  27. My hubby would die for this all time..Nice colorful Poriyal Lavanya..Is it my first time here..?guess so..Lovely space u have..:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very colourful n healthy..superb side dish:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I also make this when I have little of various vegetables. Mostly it is prepared on the weekend, when I have leftovers in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I tried this last sunday and it turned out well. Thanks for Sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Subhashini, thank you so much for trying this out & for providing your feedback - am thrilled.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts