Peerkangai (Ridge Gourd) Thovayal

Actually this recipe uses just the peel of the ridgegourd - not the entire vegetable. My mom normally makes a simple curry with the gourd where it's cubed and sauteed with onions, tomatoes and chilli powder - not my favorite growing up but the thogayal she made with the peel was something I really liked... This is not a veggie I favour a whole lot and the fact that my husband isn't a fan either makes me usually skip this when I plan the grocery list but once in a while I do pick it up as a test to see if I've started liking it and of course, most importantly, to make this thogayal with the peels.

PEERKANGAI THOGAYAL


Ingredients:
RidgeGourd/Peerkangai - Peels of 1 gourd (they are pretty tough and look quite inedible)
Urad Dhal - 1 tbsp
Dried Red Chillies - 4 or 5
Tamarind - a small piece
Coconut - 2 to 3 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp

Method:
1) Heat oil in a pan and add the urad dhal, tamarind and dried red chillies, when the dhal turns a light gold, toss in the peels, tamarind piece and salt.

2) Saute this on medium until the peels soften. I sometimes sprinkle a bit of water and close it with a lid to hasten the cooking process.


3) When done, toss in the grated coconut and switch off the stove. When this is cool enough, grind in a mixie to a slightly coarse paste with little water, as required. This is good when mixed in with rice or as an accompaniment to curd rice.

Comments

  1. Next time, try adding some sesame seeds, you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too make this .my husban's grandma taught me this and we all like this quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thovayal looks delicious...I've always discarded the peel,will definitely try this now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely thovayal :)
    also, you can try using sesame oil.. it gives a nice flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i make this too and love it with rice..looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  6. we make this too & I just love it with rice. Its been a while since I made them cuz I feel soo lazy to preserve the peel & off it goes to the trash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. never made or tasted this.. would like to try it though. i have always thought peerkangai was bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is how I too exactly make,and we too call thovayal:)
    I love this with rice and ghee/sesame oil! It tastes simply gud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowo you made this with the peel. I didn't know we could use the peel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Growing up, I too didn't like this vegetable much, but actually, it has an unusual flavour all its own and I like the chutney made from the flesh. However, I hesitate to use the peels because I'm afraid of the pesticides. In fact, I rarely cook it nowadays because where I live, we only get mile-long hollow specimens which are a pain to peel and cut!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a recent convert to this vegetable so much so I had so many peerkangais over the summer in my garden and I didn't feel like buying the half dried ones at the store but picked them all the same. the skin was really dirty looking that I discarded those and made chutney with the flesh, almost the same ingredients minus the coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to try this thovaiyal.. but never cooked it.. A couple of times, this vegetable has disappointed me by being bitter (may be I just don't know how to pick the proper one from the store).. Since then I've avoided this vegetable for a while now.. Your thovayal is very tempting, and have heard great feedbacks about this thovayal from other friends too.. So, I definitely want to try picking this veggie one more time.. let me try my luck this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this thogayal... nice picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The togavayal with peel i learnt with Andraite friends. We all love this veggie and looks tasty too

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks lovely.. i too make this ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I've ever cooked or done anything with this veg. I remember buying it once a long time back, but for the life of me, can't remember what I did with it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! I am missing a thogayal right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute picture. this is my hubby fav. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i started to love ridge-gourd after they started growing in our backyard at home...i somehow felt they were tastier...these would be yummy with dosas mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi,

    I was not fond of this veggie at all...untill i tried the telgu version of ridgegourd chutney and dal at my aunt's. yummy!! I've seen both of these recipes on Indira's Mahanandi :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts