Sunday, February 1, 2009

Peerkangai (Ridge Gourd) Thovayal

Actually this recipe uses just the peel of the ridgegourd - not the entire vegetable. My mom normally makes a simple curry with the gourd where it's cubed and sauteed with onions, tomatoes and chilli powder - not my favorite growing up but the thogayal she made with the peel was something I really liked... This is not a veggie I favour a whole lot and the fact that my husband isn't a fan either makes me usually skip this when I plan the grocery list but once in a while I do pick it up as a test to see if I've started liking it and of course, most importantly, to make this thogayal with the peels.

PEERKANGAI THOGAYAL


Ingredients:
RidgeGourd/Peerkangai - Peels of 1 gourd (they are pretty tough and look quite inedible)
Urad Dhal - 1 tbsp
Dried Red Chillies - 4 or 5
Tamarind - a small piece
Coconut - 2 to 3 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp

Method:
1) Heat oil in a pan and add the urad dhal, tamarind and dried red chillies, when the dhal turns a light gold, toss in the peels, tamarind piece and salt.

2) Saute this on medium until the peels soften. I sometimes sprinkle a bit of water and close it with a lid to hasten the cooking process.


3) When done, toss in the grated coconut and switch off the stove. When this is cool enough, grind in a mixie to a slightly coarse paste with little water, as required. This is good when mixed in with rice or as an accompaniment to curd rice.

23 comments:

  1. Next time, try adding some sesame seeds, you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i too make this .my husban's grandma taught me this and we all like this quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thovayal looks delicious...I've always discarded the peel,will definitely try this now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely thovayal :)
    also, you can try using sesame oil.. it gives a nice flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i make this too and love it with rice..looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  6. we make this too & I just love it with rice. Its been a while since I made them cuz I feel soo lazy to preserve the peel & off it goes to the trash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. never made or tasted this.. would like to try it though. i have always thought peerkangai was bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is how I too exactly make,and we too call thovayal:)
    I love this with rice and ghee/sesame oil! It tastes simply gud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowo you made this with the peel. I didn't know we could use the peel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Growing up, I too didn't like this vegetable much, but actually, it has an unusual flavour all its own and I like the chutney made from the flesh. However, I hesitate to use the peels because I'm afraid of the pesticides. In fact, I rarely cook it nowadays because where I live, we only get mile-long hollow specimens which are a pain to peel and cut!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a recent convert to this vegetable so much so I had so many peerkangais over the summer in my garden and I didn't feel like buying the half dried ones at the store but picked them all the same. the skin was really dirty looking that I discarded those and made chutney with the flesh, almost the same ingredients minus the coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to try this thovaiyal.. but never cooked it.. A couple of times, this vegetable has disappointed me by being bitter (may be I just don't know how to pick the proper one from the store).. Since then I've avoided this vegetable for a while now.. Your thovayal is very tempting, and have heard great feedbacks about this thovayal from other friends too.. So, I definitely want to try picking this veggie one more time.. let me try my luck this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this thogayal... nice picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The togavayal with peel i learnt with Andraite friends. We all love this veggie and looks tasty too

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks lovely.. i too make this ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I've ever cooked or done anything with this veg. I remember buying it once a long time back, but for the life of me, can't remember what I did with it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! I am missing a thogayal right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute picture. this is my hubby fav. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i started to love ridge-gourd after they started growing in our backyard at home...i somehow felt they were tastier...these would be yummy with dosas mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi,

    I was not fond of this veggie at all...untill i tried the telgu version of ridgegourd chutney and dal at my aunt's. yummy!! I've seen both of these recipes on Indira's Mahanandi :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).