Paati's Idli Milagai Podi

Regardless of the many chutney options available, idli podi / milagai podi - a kitchen staple in most south indian homes, always holds a special place. I particularly love this spicy powder and always associate it with fond memories of train travel with a bunch of cousins where we each got a packet of soft, fluffy idlis smeared with this podi & gingelly oil, wrapped in plantain leaves and newspaper. My paati would always be mindful to pack extra idlis for each of us since she says that we always eat more during these occassions... :)

Incidentally the best idli podi is the one that my paati (grandma) grinds up.. it's slightly coarse and super spicy and I managed to get the recipe from her though she uses veesampadi, padi etc. I, however, resorted to cup measurements instead since that's what I'm comfortable with. I have scaled back on the spiciness so my 3 year old (who is a big fan too) can eat it...

Thanks to Sharmi's suggestion, I will be sending this as my entry to Cooking for Kids with Love event hosted by Pratibha & Jigyasa since this is my paati's recipe which my daughter loves.

IDLI MILAGAI PODI


Ingredients:
Ulundhu / Urad Dhal - 1/2 cup
Kadalai paruppu / Channa Dhal - 1/4 cup
Dried Red Chillies - 1 cup (or 2 cups if you want it to fiery like paati's)
Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
Garlic cloves - 2 or 3 small ones (unpeeled)
Curry leaves - 6 to 8
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tsp (to fry the above)

Method:
1) In about half tsp oil, fry the urad dhal and channa dhal till fragrant (don't let it brown). Add sesame seeds just before removing from stove and allow to cool.

2) In the reamining half tsp oil, fry the dried red chillies, curry leaves and garlic... till the red chillies start getting black patches on them. Allow this to cool as well.

3) First grind the dhals + sesame seed mixture (I use the medium jar since that grinds spices the best). Then add the red chilli mixture along with required salt (about half tsp or so) and grind to a powder of required consistency - coarse or fine is a personal preference.

4) When done, allow this powder to cool a bit before transferring to an air-tight bottle. This is usually mixed with gingelly oil (nallennai) when served with idlis, dosas etc. Or use it to spice up idli upma or kadai dosa.

Comments

  1. Lovely recipe with garlic etc. My ajji makes a chutney pudi similar to this but without the garlic. This sounds so good, I will make some! :)

    I made your Zucchini y'day, so yummy and pulpy, so good. I added a inch of ginger and 1 garlic and seasoned with mustard, will post next week. Thanks for that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is huge fan of podi! I never added garlic, but love it the way it is coarse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this with sesame and asafoetida, have had fun making this myself in the last couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aahaa... yummy podi... I can soo understand the confusion with veesampadi, aazhaaku, etc.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe...it is very different from what I make...I just made the podi yesterday and was planing to post it...can't wait to finish it so I can try urs...looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your version of milagai podi with garlic and curry leaves....looks perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup Idli podi has a special place just its own. My mom adds galic to the podi too. Looks really good and tasty

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful recipe.. love the color! nothing can beat the taste of hot fluffy idlis with a flavorful spicy Idli podi :) I just brought 2big packets of home-made idli podi from India.. I'm just enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. my dauhter is a ig fan of podi.whatever chutney i make for dosa,she will have it along with that podi.i make it in the same way,but wonnt add garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely Podi Lavanya..reminds me of Mom's chutney podi..:)
    Fisrt time to ur space..:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so good. Nice recipe. Even i a have posted my version of it long time back. Never tried adding garlic to podi. Will try it soon.... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. my mom made this though i have never tried..looks yumm..will try your recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  13. paatis are the best :) and their recipes are real treasures. thanks for posting ur paati's recipe lavanya.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow tasty podi with sesame flavor.. i too prepare in this way.. my son and hubby never had idli without podi.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds good,adding garlic is very new to me...must try next time:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this too ... I have never added garlic to it .. must have given it a nice flavour

    ReplyDelete
  17. i know...those idlies smeared with the podis would taste 10 times better in the train..and yes...i would overeat them invariably...same with curd rice and alu sabji!..i love idly-molagaipodi...should make it as soon as i settle down

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never made podi my whole life. I do love them, till now only had them when mom made at home or with sisters.
    Yours looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thats such a lovely thing always lavaanya..can never get tired of this podi!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thats such a nice colour... Podi looks so spicy! I can sense the aroma here.. Adding garlic pods is new to me.. Have to try that...

    ReplyDelete
  21. mush have been a very fragrant podi.......Love to eat podi with hot rice and ghee.

    ReplyDelete
  22. your blog wasn't updating in my reader for ages... and as a result, I've missed coming here on a regular basis :)

    this looks yummy... and yeah... train travel = idli podi... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. everyone at home is a huge fan of this..but generally we don't add garlic to it..though i love it with garlic..

    ReplyDelete
  24. that was a quick reply to my recipe. podi looks super yummy laav. i also like garlic in idli podi. tastes out of the world.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. aading poondu seems to be a gr8 idea...anytg with poondu luv it...looks yummy lavanya...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Spicy Podi.
    Its sad to learn about your little one's asthma.My son's doesn't have an immediate allergy to dairy,but I avoid it during a cold or infection.I always give him cow's milk with little turmeric and a teaspoon of honey,that can relatively reduce the mucus.My son never liked soy,hence I give him almond milk some times.I hope she grows out too,its tough watching little ones suffer through the episodes of wheezing.
    Please trail back to my blog for a Token of gratitude :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. i guess u can send this for ficyellow,..looks so yum,..

    ReplyDelete
  28. My favorite is idly,podi,sambar or even with dosa:). It reminds me of my Paati too.
    hey send this today to http://pedatha.com/2009/01/22/cooking-for-kids-with-love/. today is last date.
    you may win a book:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sharmi, Thank you for letting me know about this event. Will update my post and send it in.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Laavanya, I can't even imagine how spicy with 2c chiles :) Looks beautiful and a nice story too :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely recipe with garlic.Will try this...i love garlic flavor.Will surely try..bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for sending them, The roundup is out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts