Vegan Date Cake

This recipe for Date cake is from Shilpa's blog and is widely popular. I wanted to make something for my daughter who is off dairy products this month and chose this recipe and just made a few alterations. I substituted the milk with the vanilla soy milk that she drinks now and since that is already sweetened, i reduced the amount of sugar in the recipe. I also replaced half of the All purpose flour with white whole wheat. It was very easy, came together rather quickly and tasted good.

DATE CAKE


Ingredients:
Seedless Dates - 25 to 30
Vanilla Soy Milk - 1 cup
All purpose Flour - 3/4 cup
White Whole wheat flour - 3/4 cup (or substitute with equal amt of AP flour)
Sugar - 1/2 to 3/4 cup
Oil - 1/2 cup
Baking Soda - 1 tsp

Method:
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Warm the soy milk and add chopped dates in it and let soak for atleast 30 mins.

2) Blend the soy milk, dates & sugar to a smooth paste. Transfer to a big bowl & whisk in the oil until combined.

3) Sift flour & baking soda and add spoonfuls of this into the batter and mix thoroughly after each addition.

4) Pour batter into a greased tin (I used a 9 inch square pan) and bake for 30 mins or till done (i.e. a toothpick inserted comes out clean).

I would like to send this as my entry to Santa's Holiday Challenge event hosted by JZ. Thanks JZ for the suggestion.

Comments

  1. WOw Laavanya, cake looks fabulous...healthy n easy to feed kids..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i made this too and I know this tastes great...nice replacement with soymilk and making it a vegan recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing this on Shilpa's blog. Thanks for reminding me! My husband loves dates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cake looks so moist and delciious.
    I love cakes like these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a healthy cake! must say, you daughters keeps you on your toes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vegan cake easy and healthy one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya I also have seen it in Shilpa's blog and have been wanting to bake it for quite sometime now. Have to try it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe, the cakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cake look so cool. Nice recipe. So fluffy and moist. YUM! Perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah, this cake seems popular. Looks so delicious. yum, yum, yum, delicioso!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The vegan version of date cake looks so yummy Laavanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. very soft and fluffy cake without eggs.. great girl. looks absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You made them with whole wheat flour and healthy too! hats off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a nice and healthy vegan treat! I've never even attempted to make anything vegan before. I cannot bring myself to not add at least one egg in such recipes. I bought a packet of flax seeds 2 months back intending to use it as an egg-substitute. Never got around to it. I'll probably use it and add the egg! :D

    Hope A's doing fine. Will call/mail soon.:D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow laavanya! cake looks fantabulous... moist, fluffy n perfectly baked..guess I can bother with my baking doubts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonder if this can be done in a MW. Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  17. woow...yeah shilpas cake is so popular and here is another yummy cake from that...lov it...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks yummy Lavanya..I too made this from her blog..love the idea of being vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. first the corn bread, n now the dates cake.....someone seems to be on a baking spree!!!! :) The cake looks delish!!!!

    So, how've you been?/ long time since I dropped by here....

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey Laavanya, is soy milk a substitute for egg? very nice looking cake.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cake looks very tempting, I have seen this around different blogs and keep thinking I want to try this...looking at yours makes me want to try this really soon:-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dates itself gives moisture to the cake Lavanya. I love them in any form. Nice one. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  23. cake looks so yummy! and so wonderful that it is vegan:-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you all for your sweet words.

    TBC, good to see you.. :) Yes.. will talk to you soon.

    Ramya, Good to see you back blogging. Will visit your blog soon to see what you've been cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Laavanya! The date cake looks great, I've never tried that before, but can imagine the great flavor!!

    Never see you around at my place nowadays!! Wish you would send this in, for my event - Santa's Holiday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts