Aloo Gobi (Dry)

This combination is a popular favorite and quite ubiquitous in Indian restaurants. We prefer the dry version and so I do not add any tomatoes when making this... but there are some versions that include it.

ALOO GOBI


Ingredients:
Cauliflower - 1, cut into florets & washed.
Potatoes - 2 to 3, medium, cut into medium cubes
Onion - 1, sliced thinly
Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - half to 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Cumin seeds - half tsp
Oil - 1 to 2 tbsp, as required


Method:
1) In a wide pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds, followed by onions and fry till brown.
2) Mix all the masala powders & salt with a bit of oil to make a paste and add this to the onions and saute for a few seconds.
3) Add the cauliflower and potato pieces and stir until uniformly coated with spices.
4) Sprinkle a few drops of water, cover and allow to cook on a medium flame until they are tender, stirring occassionally / tossing until golden brown.
5) Garnish with coriander leaves, if desired, and serve with warm rotis.

Comments

  1. i love this combination..its a comfort food for me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. really that combination is wonderful. dry version of this combination is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look brown and so delicious, ideal combination with rasam for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can never resist Aloo Gobi, cook it atleast once every week and does not hurt that the whole family loves it. I avoid the tomatoes as well makes it a bit mushy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can never resist Aloo Gobi, cook it atleast once every week and does not hurt that the whole family loves it. I avoid the tomatoes as well makes it a bit mushy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good,never made before,should try sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this goes well with paranthas,...looks so yum,..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice simple recipe, and I'd love this with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my fave curries, looks delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks awesome lavanya! Nice recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm I can imagine how good those crispy potatoes must taste, with all that spice...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds wonderful, thank you for sharing your recipe! I adore Indian food :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wish you a happy 2009, dear lavanya.

    ReplyDelete
  14. cauliflower looks nicely roasted and crunchy.. just the way i love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aloo gobi- it's one of my favorite North Indian sabzis. It goes so well with a a plain & simple dal.
    I remember making your pan-roasted gobi sometime back. That was good too.:D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so crunchy Lavanya..Perfect for sambar and rasam..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aloo Gobi is my husband's favorite, but I do add in the tomatoes cuz he does not like it very dry ..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dry curries are always my favorite Laavanya.Looks great. Happy new year. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  19. my fav. curry with rotis. looks so yummy! Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm i love dry aloo gobi, great with rasam rice.I ve been on short vaca and missed ur lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow very much inviting.missed ur posts as i went to india for vacation.reading one by one. as usual u rock

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to try this looks so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The sukhi gobi aloo looks delicious! Got back from india a few days ago and am trying to catch up with everybody's posts :)
    Bealted New year and Sankranthi wishes to you/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts