Broccoli Kootu

This recipe is from my friend Latha and what I love about it is that it requires no grinding & no chopping either if you use the frozen one and incorporates broccoli in a very yummy, subtle way that it makes for a nice variation to make even for those who are not crazy about this veggie. Ever since I started making Roasted Broccoli, it has converted my once broccoli hating husband to one who actually buys a big bunch every time he goes shopping. My daughter has even gone on to declare it as her favorite veggie - so now I incorporate this in many more ways in our daily cooking.

BROCCOLI KOOTU


Ingredients:
Broccoli (Chopped) - 1 box (10 oz)
Mung dhal (yellow split) / paasiparuppu - 1/3 cup
Sambar powder (I use Shakthi) - 1 to 2 tsp
Coriander powder - half tsp
Turmeric powder - half tsp
Asafoetida (hing) - a small pinch
Salt - 2 tsp
Shredded Coconut - 1 to 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp

Seasoning:
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - half tsp
Urad dhal - half tsp
Curry leaves - few
Red chillies - 1, broken (optional)
Onion - 1 small, chopped finely
Garlic - 1 clove, minced (optional)

Method:
1) In a deep pan, saute the mung dhal for a few minutes (it shouldn't change colour). Wash it once and return to the stove, then add 2 cups of water, hing, turmeric & 1 tsp of salt. Once it boils, reduce the flame to a simmer, cover and allow to cook.

2) Meanwhile, microwave the frozen broccoli for 5 minutes. When the dhal is cooked about 75% and is quite soft, add the broccoli into the mix followed by the cumin seeds, sambar & coriander powders & remaining salt. Cover and allow to cook till both, dhal & broccoli are cooked fully.

3) In a separate pan, heat oil and season with mustard seeds, urad dhal, curry leaves & broken red chillies. Add the chopped onions & garlic and a bit of salt. Allow this to cook until it softens & browns a bit.

4) Add the onion-seasoning mix to the broccoli-dhal mix and stir in the coconut. Switch of the stove... and allow to rest covered for about 5 to 10 minutes - kootu is ready and tastes real good with rice.



We had nearly 2 feet of snow over the weekend and while it was (and still is to an extent) breathtaking to look at, the clean up was a lot of effort. I leave you with some pictures...

Comments

  1. a kootu that involves no grinding... a sure winner :)

    Also, looked at your roasted broccoli recipe.. must try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brocoli kootu sounds new......a healthy twist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy.. never tried this though. healthy dal it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kootu with broccoli looks very tasty, something new to try with broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy kootu..please do collect ur gift from this http://easy2cookrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-250-th-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. another nice way to enjoy my favorite broccoli :) It sure sounds yummy!

    Heard about the snowstorm last weeekend, another one is coming our way.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Broccoli kootu looks yummy and very healthy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laav, I shall try it out on uncle and hope he transforms like Arun...ok you know it is too much to expect him to buy a large bunch. If he eats few mouthfuls that would be IT! Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Broc kootu sounds tasty... Gosh I freeze here seeing ur snow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the snow pics laavanya. Love the kootu, do try it with kadala paruppu also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love broccoli and usually indianize it any way i can. thanks for this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love broccoli too .. nice idea of making a kootu out of it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even I am not still comfortable with broccoli! But as u have told,I think if we start eating we will sure love the veggie! Kootu looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love broccoli and this is a fun way to do a kootu with it. Thanks for such a healthy idea.

    Happy Holidays,
    Siri

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the broccoli kootu, I too make similar version to this, but just add semi boiled moondhal to it, so that it goives a crunch.Will try your version next time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks really good Laavanya. The kids really like roasted broccoli but I have never cooked with it and don't like it that much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kootu looks delicious..love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ummmm this looks so yum..merry christmas dear,..

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW very nice recipe, looks yummmmmm :))

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love broccoli and this looks perfectly yummy for a winter night.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks new to me. Definitely yummy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you all for your sweet comments.

    Latha akka, you may be surprised like I was - do try & let me know.

    Siri - thanks.. Happy Holidays to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lavanya!

    Very nice recipe. Tried it last night and added some garam masala, lemon and pressure cooked it..Ez and nutritious :)

    Thanks! You are really talented!

    -D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Dreams2Reality for trying and providing your feedback. So glad to hear it turned out good. I love the garam masala & lemon twist :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is awesome and simple. Do visit my blog when time permits. http://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am quite new to kootus but I already prepared this recipe twice after seeing it on your blog. I felt it a bit bland the first time as we eat spicy food. I added chilli powder this time and the taste was awesome. Thanks a lot for this wonderful new dish. You taught me an excellent curry.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you Anonymous for your feedback. My sambar powder is pretty spicy so I usually find it sufficient, if not I add an extra dried red chilli when seasoning. Adding chilli powder is a good workaround too. Glad it worked out for you... :) Thanks for trying.

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE this kootu...have tried this twice already and my little son loves it too. Thanks for the awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is one of the best kootu recipes I have ever tried! Fantastic -- and great with spinach as well. Sometimes when cooking for my parents, I will omit the onion and garlic, it's still fantastic. I've also ommitted the coriander powder frome time to time when I had run out, and it was completely fine without. This is my new favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you both Anons for your comments... makes me so happy to know that this was a hit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts