Dried Red Chillies - 4 to 6 (depending on how spicy you want it)
Curry leaves - 6
Tamarind - small piece
Shallots - 1/3 cup (chop into pcs if too big)
Salt - to taste
Nallennai (Gingelly oil) - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
1) In 1 tsp oil, fry the shallots till light brown. Keep aside.
2) Add another tsp of oil and fry the red chillies and curry leaves... till roasted, with a small pc of tamarind.
3) Grind the red chillies, curry leaves, salt and tamarind first with just a sprinkle of water if necessary.
4) Finally add the shallots and pulse so they are a bit coarse and not completely smooth. Alternatively you could use the mortar and pestle to process the shallots to the desired consistency and mix with the red chilli paste.
5) Heat the remaining tsp of oil, season with mustard seeds and a few curry leaves. When the mustard seeds splutter, add to the chutney, mix and serve.