This Chakli or Murukku recipe is a bit different from the thenkuzhal that I normally make. I got this from Seema's blog and we loved the end result... it had the right amount of spices and was perfectly crunchy - an absolute treat and one of our many indulgences for this year's Diwali.
CHAKLI / MURUKKU
Rice Flour - 2 cups
Urad Dhal - 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp
Butter - 3 tbsp
Jeera - half tbsp
Black Sesame seeds - half tsp
Chilli powder - 3/4 tsp
Salt - 3/4 tsp to 1 tsp
Oil - sufficient to deep fry
1) Dry roast urad dal in a pan until it turns light brown. Allow to cool and grind to a fine powder.
2) Sieve rice flour+ above urad dal powder + salt + chili powder.
3) Add melted hot butter to this mixture and the remaining ingredients.
4) Make a soft dough adding water gradually. It shouldn't be too stiff or too watery.
5) Fill the murukku maker/press with this dough using the star shaped nozzle and make round chaklis on a sheet of cling wrap.
6) Meanwhile heat oil and deep fry (several at a time) till golden on either side. Drain on paper towels and allow to cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
Thank you Srivalli for reminding me about JFI - Festival treats this month.. I have one more post lined up for you... besides this and will mail you the details together.