Milagu (Pepper) Kuzhambu

This pepper kuzhambu has quite a few medicinal ingredients going in and is sure to help clear up stuffy sinuses or a crummy cold. The spices in it give a wonderful jolt to one's palate and is definitely my go to recipe when I'm feeling under the weather.

MILAGU KUZHAMBU

Ingredients:
Shallots (Chinna Vengayam) - half cup, peeled
Garlic cloves - about 10 or 12, peeled
Tamarind - gooseberry sized, soaked in warm water & extract juice
Tomato - 1 small, chopped
Gingelly oil (Nallennai) - 1 to 2 tbsp
Mustard, Urad Dhal, Methi seeds, Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp each
Asafoetida (Hing/Perungaayam) - a pinch
Curry Leaves - few
Salt - to taste

To Grind:
Whole black pepper - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds (Jeera) - 1 tbsp
Urad Dhal - 1 tsp
Channa Dhal (kadalai paruppu) - 1 tsp
Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
Sukku (Dried Ginger) - 1 small piece
Dried Red Chillies - 2 or 3

Method:
1) Heat about 1 tsp of oil in a pan and fry the ingredients in the 'To Grind' list, until golden. Grind this to a smooth paste adding water as required.

2) Heat the remaining oil, and add the seasoning ingredients (mustard, urad dhal, cumin & methi), along with asafoetida and curry leaves. Once they splutter, add the peeled onions & garlic, fry till golden.

3) Then add the chopped tomato and fry with a bit of salt till it turns mushy. Then add the extracted tamarind juice along with the ground paste. Adjust salt & water, as necessary and allow this boil. Let this simmer until it thickens to the desired consistency and serve hot with rice.

Comments

  1. Wow! Looks spicy and I like to try your version:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks hot n spicy!! beautiful pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That bowl looks so good.. Wish i could get some! I am definetly trying this!Nice & spicy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wawwwiii Milagukuzhambu looks yummyiiii..I was serching for the recipe last week,i couldn;t found it,then i came up with my way of making it.anyways i'll try this this week

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow... enakku patti gnabagam varuthu... i like milagu kuzhambu...i added curry leaves itself... nice entry... i am getting mouthwatering now... nice click...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks spicy good during winter.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. This brings back great memories of home - I love the milagu rasam that my mum makes, but seldom cook it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The gravy is looking so spicy.. thanks for sharing the recipe.. wanted to make this since long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You read my mind laavanya, I've viral cold and cough going on now and was thinking to make this kuzhambu y'day!

    Your recipes come out at the right time for me.. It happened with avacados too last week :) ha..ha. I tried your guacamole and came out awesome! Keep it going gal :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This doesn't need any coconut? Excellent, on my list! Only, would have thought it should be called garlic kuzhambu, but I guess there's another one by that name! Wonder how much garlic THAT needs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooh, oooh! spicy soup. looks so delicious and inviting Laavanya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so delicious.
    Just reading the recipe it self my mouth is wattering

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pulli kuzhambu re always my favo, specialy this millagu kuzhambu is good at any time :) Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. okay my mouth watered so bad! i love this one...totally bookmarked like so many of your recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i make vatha kozhambu in a similar manner. yummy with parippu podi :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I suppose this is similar to vathakuzhambu! I love the tang in it:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love vathalkozumbhu...and I make it almost the same way..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks and sounds utterly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. yummm looks spicy and yummy lavanya

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favorite type of kuzhambu, along with Vattal Kuzhmabu and puli kuzhambu... I can so use a bowl of it right now...

    ReplyDelete
  21. never tried kuzhambu before.. will try ur recipe 1st :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks delicious...this brings back so many great memories of home....

    ReplyDelete
  23. looks spicy and delicious...would definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this kuzhambu but never made myself..thanks for the recipe...and it looks so gud and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  25. One hot kuzhambu this one is...we too make it almost same but dont add onions

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks nice and hope it tastes real good

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love to have this when feeling cold..looks spicy Lavanya

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you all! It is very spicy but that's what I expect from this kuzhambu... :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. that looks inviting! feeling hungry! come and join in the chicken event going in my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  30. i made this once from a cookbook and loved it. love your pic.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely kulambu! Its my all time favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  32. i tried this ..it was simply superb.my hubby n my 3yr old child also loved it..n that makes me say thanks to u

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous, Thank you so much for your prompt feedback. Am so glad your family enjoyed it... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts