Boiled Peanut Salad

Remember I talked about a 'Peanut Salad' that my dad made when we had moonlight dinner parties ? Well, this time when I bought a bunch of fresh peanuts, I was sure to try this out. It has been atleast 12 yrs since I last tasted this salad and all that I remembered was that it was good & everybody insisted that my dad make this and his tomato soup at almost all the parties we had.... but had no idea what it contained. When asked, my dad was very surprised that I would ask him something so simple and remarked at how it isn't really a recipe but just some usual ingredients thrown together. I asked him to let me know what those usual ingredients are and a day later, we had a yummy dinner of Peanut Salad, Papaya Halwa & Banana-Mango Smoothie.

If you don't get fresh peanuts where you live (for us it's only seasonal and not available year round), you can check out this website where you can order online and it's home delivered.

Oh and this is my first Salad recipe on this blog ... As much as I want to eat healthy, i'm not a very salad person and there are only a few that I like. I created a category for Salads when I created the blog in the hopes that I would start consuming them more but after more than a year, here I am with my first Salad recipe :)

BOILED PEANUT SALAD


Ingredients:

Boiled, Shelled Peanuts - 1 cup
Cucumber - half, peeled & chopped
Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
Carrot - 1 medium, shredded
Onion - 1 medium, chopped (refer to tip below)
G. chillies - 2 to 3
Raisin - 1 to 2 tbsp (optional)
Coriander leaves - 3 tbsp, chopped
Salt & Pepper - to taste
Lime/Lemon - half or more (optional)

Method:
1) Pressure cook the peanuts (with shell) for 3 whistles. Remember to salt the water so the peanuts would've absorbed some salt. Allow to cool, shell and measure the peanuts. We need around a cup.

2) Toss all of the salad ingredients together. I added the raisinis only because I overzealously added around 5 chopped green chillies and the salad became very spicy so the raisins helped to balance that out. Omit that if you don't like it. Squeeze some lemon juice on top and serve.

TIP: Often, I find raw onions to be too sharp/pungent. So, when I add them to salads or raithas, I soak the chopped onions in a mixture of 1 tbsp white distilled vinegar, 1 tsp sugar, half tsp salt. I add enough water to just barely cover the onions and let the mixture rest for atleast 20 minutes before draining completely and adding to the salad or raitha.


Our dinner - Peanut Salad, Mango-Banana Smoothie & Papaya Halwa



I would like to send this salad as my entry to EC's WYF-Soups/Starters/Soups. Thank you EC for picking such a yummy theme.

Want to try something else with boiled peanuts? Check out - Verkadalai Kuzhambu

Comments

  1. Such a cool salad,Looks colourful too! Thanx for sharing Lavanyaa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salad looks sooooo colorful ,inviting and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice salad,,your dinner sound so good..papaya halwa especially!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful salad..I am going to attempt making this..the reason I say attempt is that it is quite likely I may start snacking on the boiled and cooked peanuts as soon as I remove them from the shell :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If all salads were so yummy, i could live on them:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. i go crazy for this salad...actually i think a similar one will be served near beaches in india...oooooo makes me drool already

    ReplyDelete
  7. i loved this.. i too make this, but with only few ingredients.. will try ur version this time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make peanut sundal which i love a lot, salad with peanut sounds cool too :) Ur dad has a great taste bud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my fist visit and peanuts.vow what a timing.....hmm love those boiled peanuts.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. May you have many more salad days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a salad...super....iam gona do this today

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a salad...super....iam gona do this today

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an unusual salad. Sounds quite interesting,Laavanya.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salad sounds so interesting Lavanya..the kids would love to munch on the peanuts in the salad..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love ur dinner menu Laavanya..Salad looks colorful n healthy..Even We used to enjoy moonlit dinners every Sunday back at home.Sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an unusual and nutritious recipe, Laavanya. It looks really pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for visiting my blog laavanya. I feel like devouring that whole bowl of peanut salad :)..looks very healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wooo salad looks colourful and healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  19. mmm. refreshing salad. looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The salad looks so delicious and so very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow..I make a similar tangier version and serve it on taco shells :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Raks, Sireesha & Sowmya.

    Usha, ha ha.. I do that too. But I managed to save enough for the salad and even left a portion of it to make my verkadalai kuzhambu again.

    Thanks DelhiBelle & Sangeeth.

    Anjali, sure this is a very versatile recipe to add or delete ingredients to our liking.

    Thank you Cham .. he is a really good cook.

    Raaji, welcome, glad you like it.

    Sra, thanks for your wishes - i need it! With the winter approaching, i'm sure to avoid them yet again and maybe next summer i'll get better? :)

    Vanamala - thank you. Hope you do.

    Aparna & Kamala - thanks! :)

    Thank you Divya, we enjoyed it.

    Thank you Vaishali and it's vegan too so you can probably try it sometime... :)

    Yasmeen, it was my pleasure. Thanks for your kind words.

    Thank you Suma, Uma & Dindintonight.

    Rachel, how do you make it tangy? with raw mango? Sounds yum...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks really colorful and tempting..its reminding me of my days in Marina beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. salad looks colourful & Fantastic.. looks gud & healthy

    ReplyDelete
  25. the salad looks really nice n colorful laavanya .. cant wait to try it

    ReplyDelete
  26. nice salad laavanya. never tried it so far. good one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The salad looks so refreshing. I have a peanut chaat recipe in my blog using boiled peanuts as well. The mango smoothie makes me want to grab it off the laptop scree. Truly yum

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice salad & Papaya Halwa - Thats new to me. So did u sit out on your deck & enjoy the moonlight & have a great dinner with both A's?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yumm...so inviting and colourful salad..thanks a lot for this entry

    ReplyDelete
  30. thnks for the recipe and the source to order fresh peanuts from. WIll try it for sure..when my darn diet is over :(

    rajitha

    ReplyDelete
  31. Boiled Peanut Salad, A very different thing...Found it a bit difficult to make it.

    But relax, It was overall good.

    ReplyDelete
  32. looks tempting..Shud try them sometime..u r doing a great job..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts