Spicy Tomato Soup

I love our spicy Indian tomato soups and since I've been down with some cold and cough, I wanted something hot to soothe my throat and also wanted it to have some tang, so I could taste it :) Sniffly-nosed, I pulled out some ingredients and made a soup that satisfied all my needs and was done in a jiffy... The colour of the soup may not be much, but the taste definitely worked out for me.

SPICY TOMATO SOUP


Ingredients:
Roma Tomatoes - 4 or Big Tomatoes - 2, chopped
Onion - 1/3 of a medium onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
Bell pepper - 1/4 of a medium sized one, cut into 1 inch pieces
Carrot - 1, medium, cubed
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Garlic - 2 to 3 cloves
Chilli powder - 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Clove - 1
Cornstarch - 2 tsp
Salt & Pepper - to taste
Butter - 1/2 tbsp and more to serve
Tomato Ketchup - abt 1 tbsp (optional)

Method:
1) In a stockpot, heat the half tbsp of butter and add the clove and bay leaf, add the chopped onions, garlic & ginger, saute till they soften.

2) Next add the capsicum and carrot and fry for a few more minutes... then add the tomatoes, salt and chilli powder and cook till they turn a bit mushy.
3) Add about 3-4 cups of water and allow this to come to a boil. Simmer on a low to medium flame for about 15 minutes.

4) Pour this through a sieve, fish out the clove, bay leaf & discard them, puree the remaining solids in a blender/mixie till smooth.

5) Mix this paste and the stock and return to the pan. Heat this and add some cornstarch dissolved in water along with ketchup (if using) and allow this to boil, till it thickens to the right consistency.

6) Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with some additional butter and crunchy croutons.

Comments

  1. Yummy I too love the spixy tomato soup we get back at home. But never have tried myself.
    Have bookmarked this to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!... Looks really spicy. YUM!... Love tomato soup in any form.. Loved ur version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's wrong with the colour? it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good for you and very attractive looking.Good as cold soup too for a hot day!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet of you to post this despite being sick, Laavanya! The soup looks wonderful and comforting. Feel better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks real spicy. Lovely soup Lavanya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the soup looks delicious....love the color

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so good and conforting this spicy tomato soup Laavanya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Slurp! :D

    Hope you're feeling better now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My hubby loves tomato soup..Am going to try this recipe .thanks for sharing.Hope u get well soon

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for commenting me...ur tomato looks spicy and gr8t...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks yummy! The colour looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What's wrong with the colour, unless you're aiming for redder than tomato hotel soup? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never tried ginger in my tomato soup before. Looks tasty!
    I have a soup blog (www.Le-Potage.blogspot.com) think I'll have to try this recipe.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear that you are sick Laav, hope you are better now... This delicious soup sure must have helped! I love the color, it is so natural... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Happy Cook. Hope you give this a try... and like it.

    Thank you Sukanya.

    Bee, Thanks! I thought it wasn't red like usual tomato soups but this is more natural I suppose.

    Asha, I suppose but I had it steaming hot so felt really good in my throat :)

    Thank you so much Kalai & Uma.

    Thanks Rajitha and Cham.

    TBC, I still have cold but am feeling better - thank you.

    Divya, I hope you get a chance to try it... Thanks.

    Notyet100, that's good to know.. my daughter is a big fan too.

    Thank you Suma for dropping by.

    Thank you Homecooked and Sra.. :)

    Andhra flavours - i find the ones we get here too tomatoey and wanted to spice it up.

    Michelle, i love ginger and the heat it imparts to the soup.

    Sig, thanks! I am getting better... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for visiting my blog Laavnya.

    I love this soup. I have not tried tomato soup with bell pepper, would love to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lavanyaa,
    I came across to ur blog. I found ur Tomato Soup very healthy yet tasty. I must have try ur recipe as I was looking for the same.
    Thanks 4 sharing to us.
    Sonu :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts