SPICY TOMATO SOUP
Roma Tomatoes - 4 or Big Tomatoes - 2, chopped
Onion - 1/3 of a medium onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
Bell pepper - 1/4 of a medium sized one, cut into 1 inch pieces
Carrot - 1, medium, cubed
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Garlic - 2 to 3 cloves
Chilli powder - 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
Bay leaf - 1
Clove - 1
Cornstarch - 2 tsp
Salt & Pepper - to taste
Butter - 1/2 tbsp and more to serve
Tomato Ketchup - abt 1 tbsp (optional)
1) In a stockpot, heat the half tbsp of butter and add the clove and bay leaf, add the chopped onions, garlic & ginger, saute till they soften.
2) Next add the capsicum and carrot and fry for a few more minutes... then add the tomatoes, salt and chilli powder and cook till they turn a bit mushy.
3) Add about 3-4 cups of water and allow this to come to a boil. Simmer on a low to medium flame for about 15 minutes.
4) Pour this through a sieve, fish out the clove, bay leaf & discard them, puree the remaining solids in a blender/mixie till smooth.
5) Mix this paste and the stock and return to the pan. Heat this and add some cornstarch dissolved in water along with ketchup (if using) and allow this to boil, till it thickens to the right consistency.
6) Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with some additional butter and crunchy croutons.