Simple Green Mung Dhal

While doing my undergraduation, I had some north-indian post grad friends who made the most delectable dhals each night for dinner. Bhalla, a Punjabi, would make dhal parathas where he would knead leftover dhal into the chapathi dough, give us spoonfuls of the sweet pickles his mother made and also make this smashing, super simple dhal with whole green mung. At that time in my life, i was the least bit interested in cooking and never cared to observe how anyone made anything or even talk about what goes in....

But later, when I wanted to duplicate this dhal made by Bhalla, i tried several methods by adding chopped onions and tomatoes with the usual masalas, then only onions and so on.. but it never really matched his dhal. Finally, one day I limited myself to just chilli powder and salt and the end result was exactly how I remembered it... My husband loves this as well and making dhal couldn't be simpler.

SIMPLE GREEN MUNG DHAL

Ingredients:

Whole Green Mung beans - about 1 cup
Chilli Powder - 1 tsp or more to taste

Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 to 2 tsp

Method:
1) Pressure cook Green Mung beans till soft with sufficient water.
2) Make a paste of chilli powder and salt with some water.
3) Heat oil and add the chilli powder and salt paste, and stir.. after just one minute or so (ensure the paste doesn't burn), add the cooked beans and sufficient water. Let this simmer for abt 5-10 minutes or till thick enough. Delicious dhal is ready with minimal ingredients and time.


Comments

  1. Now that's an awesome recipe for dal. Only 4 ingredients (including salt and oil)?! Will definitely have to try this out soon! Thanks, Laavanya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious dal. simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laavanya...
    This sounds so traditional to me. Looks so good. Nice recipe to try..

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a nifty recipe! Will certainly try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is simple but indeed it looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laavanya, something about the green Moong, it just taste fabulous with any spice or no spice at all. Love the way it looks!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post, simple, easy, and tasty as well. Love mung dal this way, yummoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That IS super simple to make. I've made this before but obvioulsy didn't like it enough to make it again. I don't know why, I can never make a good basic dal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laavanya-

    the moong dhal looks spicy and yum. Healthy dish too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very simple and delicious dhaal :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum! i will pass on this recipe to my mom who is vexed for varities for my nephews who want to eat only 'north-indian' food everyday!!

    Btw..those sandwiches in the prev post are so wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice recipe....sounds simple...and only 4 ingredients..

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very nice and simple dal....looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Laavanya, something waiting for u on my blog :)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely dal with very few ingredients.. nothing more to ask for :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Quick and good one Laavanya. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy and delicious dal looks good...
    Have a great weekend.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very easy to make but so whole some.
    I have a similar version but with a different tadka.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you all for your encouraging comments about this simple dish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Please check the second picture in this link

    http://words-flow.blogspot.com/2008/05/food-kozhukattai-payasam.html

    It seems too much like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Laavanya! I have something for you! Check my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Laavanya, this sounded too good to be true. I tried it out recently, and it was quite good indeed. Added a touch of ghee and squirt of lemon while eating.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made this just a couple of days after you posted it, forgot to tell you how much I loved it.
    Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much evolving tastes for trying it out and your feedback.

    Delhibelle, am so happy to hear that... Thank you so much for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  25. my daughter loved this recipe, so simple and delicious. all your recipes are such sure fire hits and always loved by my daughter. thank you so very much for sharing this treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear that... it always makes us happy to see kids enjoy the food we make... esp. if it's healthy and nutritious :) Thank you for trying and the feedback.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts