Tandoori Paneer Pizza

I love the tandoori paneer pizzas (or Paneer Tikka Pizzas) you get in India... In a way I'm glad that fast food joints here don't offer a good variety for vegetarians unlike India or I'd have a tough time controlling myself. The paneer burgers, wraps and pizzas are sure to throw me off track :) Nevertheless I was craving these pizzas and so set about making them.

These are great for entertaining because you can make each of the components ahead of time and just assemble and pop into the oven for about 15-20 minutes just before your guests arrive and hot pizza is ready to eat in no time.
TANDOORI PANEER PIZZA
Ingredients:
For Tandoori Paneer:
Paneer - 250gm, cubed (I used the one made at home with 2% milk)
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Garlic - 2-3 cloves, peeled
Green Chillies - 2-3
Thick Yogurt - 1 to 2 tbsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Tandoori Masala - 1/2 tsp (optional)
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Orange food colouring - 2 drops (I didn't use it)
Salt to taste
For Tomato Sauce: [or use Store bought Pasta Sauce]
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Diced Tomatoes (canned) - 1/2 cup with some of the juice
Italian herbs - a pinch
Chilli powder or red chilli flakes - about 1/2 tsp or more to taste
Salt

For the Pizza:
Pizza Crust - 2 (storebought or home-made)
Red Onion - 1 big, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
Green Bell Pepper - 1, cut into 1 inch cubes
Red Bell Pepper - 1 medium, cut into 1 inch pieces
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt, to taste
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
Mozzarella cheese - 1 cup, shredded (I used part-skim)

Method:

1) For the Tandoori Paneer: Grind all the ingredients except Paneer and mix it well with the paneer pieces so it coats well. Now let this marinate overnight in the fridge or atleast for a few hours.

2) For the Tomato Sauce: Heat the olive oil and add the chopped garlic and onions. When the onions soften and brown a bit, add the diced tomatoes, herbs, chilli powder and salt. Add little water, if needed and let this simmer until thick.

3) For the Other Toppings: Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and add the onions and bell peppers with some salt and chilli powder. Saute this on for a few minutes till the vegetables are tender-crisp.

4) For the Final Assembly: Brush the crust with some olive oil. Spread the thick Tomato sauce. Now place the marinated paneer pieces and sprinkle the onion-bell pepper mixture over the crust. Finally top with the shredded cheese and pop into the oven at 400F for about 15-20 minutes (depending on the type of pizza crust used).

5) When done, top with some of the chopped coriander leaves, wait 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

Comments

  1. Awesome post Laav! Cool & yummy pizza....I know what u mean you get plenty in India.. we had tandoori paneer wraps & it was so yum & filling & cheap too :-) Recreating that was a great idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paneer pizza looks so yummy! Home-made pizza in Indian style! Good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god! how good is that..and i agree with you on not finding all this yummy stuff in the city we live in..or i think i will be having my tent out there in front of their door :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had dinner and you're really making me hungry, Laavanya! Looks mouthwateringly yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! is there anything you don't make?! When I crave pizza, I just pick up the phone!;-)

    I've never even heard of TP pizza while I was living there.I must have been living under a rock or something! I've only tried the same kind over and over again...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious.
    I make a plain paneer version at home and cut down on the other cheese.
    Pizza is always a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pizza looks really yummmm...Great post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummm....I am a pizza craver too. this is worth a try

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have had only plain paneer pizza...never tried with tandoori masala...nice idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I have never eaten this pizza before. While in India I end up eating the regular dosas, idli and regular delicacies and steer away from Pizzas. Now I know what I have missed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pizza looks great! We have a desi pizza joint in Seattle,where they serve tandoori pizzas... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what can i say!! i have to mop the drool off the keypad now!! tandoori paneer is one of my fav pizzas......awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pics look good....Iam not a huge fan of the tandoori pizza they serve at Pizza Hut, though....

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my! laav, this is one of the most luscious posts in recent times, incredibly tempting!!!!! wish could taste it right off the screen, yummmmmmmmmy!
    save me a BIG piece please :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laav this is so scrumptious..i have no words for it. I am especially fond of Desi -styled pizza. Btw a small tip from me...try sprinkling a little chat masala over the paneer, it adds the tandoor-like flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh so good. Give me few big slices. Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  17. that looks fabulous Laavanya! I was going to make the same thing yesterday, and ended up making my v-day cakes:)

    I have everything ready in my fridge, so can't wait to try these! looks soooooo inviting!:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its raining paneer pizza in the blogosphere. First at Komal's, next at Indira's, now at yours. I gotta try this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow!!laavanya!!This is awesome ...excellen meal ..I love pizza's ..All time favrt!!!!!Excellent one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Paneer pizza looks so yummy..........

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow...tandoori pizza...sounds great lavanya...pic looks yummy...i bet it tastes wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really dont like the pizzas we get here. Loved the simple indian ones we got made out of amul cheese. So now i have try these yummy looking ones.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey laavanya, thats one lovely pizza!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ramya, Thank you.

    Me too Seema.. :) Thanks.

    Thanks Uma.

    Count me in for that tent idea Rajitha.. :)

    Thank you kalai... :)

    TBC, If I could get paneer pizzas here I probably would've done just that. But it's really since I use readymade stuff and the marinating couldn't be simpler. I had it during my last trip and liked it and also the paneer wraps at the KFC in Blore long ago.

    Aparna, for sure.

    Thank you Maya and Rachel.

    EC, the tandoori marination definitely gives it a lot of flavour.

    Red Chillies, I like the indianized touch given to the pizzas there.

    Sig, I saw that on Indira's blog.. Lucky you! :)

    Thank you Arundati ! :)

    Jayashree.. oh.. i think it was all the more fascinating because it's not something I get to eat often.

    Thank you Jag.

    Richa, I'll be happy to give you 2 big pieces :)

    Thank you Pooja.. I will keep your tip in mind for the next time.

    Thank you Vanamala, Happy Cook and Mansi for your sweet words.

    Do try Suganya.

    Thank you Deepa, Bee, Rama and Dhivya.. :)

    Vimmi, I like the pizzas made by Vocelli here. very nice crust and different toppings. But the indian pizzas are a bit more spicier.

    Thank you superchef.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I havent tasted this combo but am sure fusion in here is really tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is tempting to bite Laavanya. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pizza is one of my weakness. Can't resist it. Your pizza with paneer absolutely rocks. Cool idea and picture.

    ReplyDelete
  28. ur paneer pizza looks very yummy..Wonderful recipe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts