Pound Cake

I landed on this recipe when a friend of ours managed to crack about 6 eggs in the process of buying and bringing them home during which course he dropped the bag ... :) So, i had these 6 whole eggs sitting in a bowl waiting to be used right away, they couldn't be boiled and I had no intention of making a huge omelette then, so I started looking for cake recipes. This recipe from Paula Deen caught my eye and now my husband always votes for this cake and is quite unhappy when I want to try something new. Whenever I ask him what he wants for his birthday or our anniversary, I pretty much know these days what his answer is going to be.

The reason this is such a hit at home is because it reminds us the cakes we've had as kids back in india... For him, his mom made something similar for his birthdays and for me, it reminds me of the cake that my neighbour made every Christmas. Add to the fact that this is very fuss free recipe and can be whipped up in minutes. The only drawback is that it's loaded in calories and in the course of time I have tried to make healthier substitutions but it always compromised on the texture or taste so I just stick to the original recipe but halve it and just make it for special occassions.

PERFECT POUND CAKE

Ingredients:Unsalted Butter - 1 stick, softened
All Purpose Flour - 1.5 cups
Sugar - 1.5 cups
Eggs - 3
Baking Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
Heavy Cream - 1/2 cup

Method:

1) Grease an 8 inch square pan and dust with flour. Do NOT pre-heat oven.

2) Using a hand-held beater, cream the butter and sugar till fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.

3) Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.

4) Alternately add flour mixture and heavy cream to the egg mixture, beating after each addition... beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in the vanilla extract. Batter is now ready.

5) Pour this into the prepared pan and put into a cold oven. Now turn on the heat to 325 degrees F. Bake for an hour without opening the oven door. After one hour, check with a toothpick and if the cake is still not done bake for another 5 to 15 minutes.

6) Remove from oven and let it cool for 15 minutes before inverting and cooling completely. Slice and Serve.

I made for this for our 6th anniversary last week and hence the candle on top

This is also my entry to Bindiya's My Favorite things event: Cakes and Muffins.

Comments

  1. Hey, belated happy anniversary Laav... cake looks great, and your friend sounds like me, I also manage to crack at least one egg every time... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated anniversary wishes to you and A, Laavanya. Here's wishing you guys many many more!

    Pound cakes is looking good. I 've always been scared to follow Paula's recipes 'cos the woman can't cook without using a ton of butter. But it's alright to indulge occasionally.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anni Laav & A!
    Pound cakes looks real fluffy & yum....Dont worry on calories on your special day - after all we diet rest of the year, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cake looks very moist and awesome lady .....belated anniversary wishes to you ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very belated happy anniversary Laavi :) The cake looks delicious...love pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cake looks so fluffy and moist. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary wishes Laav. Hope you had a great day. Lovely cake! Do not care for calories on special occasions, enjoy the moments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated anniversary wishes dear. Looks like you had a great one with that pound cake you made. I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy A'versary

    Cake looks good..simple and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it reminds of my mom's cake when i was a kid. the only difference is, we dont use cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. belated anni wishes to u both lav:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 6th darling! I have been meaning to make Pound cake too but all those eggs scared me but you know what? You don't eat the whole cake alone, do you? So that's not bad at all if you you have a slice or two. Enjoy!:))

    ReplyDelete
  13. a very happy belated anniversary to u laav :)..that pound-cake looks delicious..it was bought regularly at my place for me and sis!! and it is next to impossible to veganize it..so just drooling :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated Happy Anniversery
    I love pound cakes and it to reming me of the cakes we get back at home

    ReplyDelete
  15. that looks melt-in-your-mouth yummy. have a wonderful year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anniversary wishes!!! the cake as you said is comforting by its very familiarity! The love in it adds to the flavour :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Belated Wedding Anniv ! I have loved this cake so much..that i cannot wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Belated anniversary wishes Laavanya... Cake looks perfect and fluffy... No doubt it makes a nice treat...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Belated anniversary wishes!!! n nice soft n fluffy cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Belated happy anniversary...It is indeed a simple recipe...must try..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Laav..about the protein powder...they are pretty good..it may taste a bit metallic if used a lot...but a tsp or two..makes no impact on the drink..i usually buy chocolate..had some vanilla left-over from the past and used it for the shake..hope this helps girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you all for your anniversary wishes!

    Rajitha, thanks on the info for the protein powder.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Laavanya,
    Left a msg for u earier this evening. I will try again during the weekend.:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. My belated wishes too. The cake is yummy. Very neat recipe. Viji

    ReplyDelete
  25. Belated but happy anniv. Nice way to celebrate with a lovely pound cake. You can occasionally roll your eyes to all that butter - cant you??

    ReplyDelete
  26. cake looks fab!!belated happy anniv...and have a wonderful year ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  27. After the success with the Beetroot Halwa, I tried ur Pound Cake recipe. The cake was moist and dense, just the way a Pound cake should be, But..its softness was short-lived in my case. Srangely they turned hard when cold and would be moist when reheated.
    I followed the exact procd. but Any idea wa cud ve been the reason?
    And oh yes did I thanked u for the recipe! :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Crafted,

    Thank you so much for trying out the pound cake recipe and for your feedback. Actually this is my husband's favorite cake and he always asks for this at every opportunity he gets and infact am going to bake this tomorrow.

    I've never had a problem with it becoming hard so I'm not sure what went wrong.. some qns:
    1) Did you switch on the oven after putting the cake in? - that is important - the oven should NOT be preheated like for other cakes
    2) Did you use heavy whipping cream?
    Besides that I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't work. I'll keep a close watch when I bake it tomorrow and let you know if I see any discrepancy in the recipe.

    Once again, thanks for all your support :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts