I used to very often make a gravy with canned button mushrooms and paneer in an onion-tomato sauce made rich with a paste of ground cashews but this one is something I tried recently with fresh white mushrooms from Seema's blog (with minor modifications) and we loved this. It went great with chapathis and made for a quick dinner along with a simple dhal. Thank you Seema.
Mushrooms (White) - 1 pack ~8oz, wiped clean with a damp tissue & quartered
Onion - 1 big, sliced
Garlic - 4 cloves
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Tomato - 1, cut into pieces
Green Chillies - 2
Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves - 2 tbsp, chopped
Milk - 2 to 3 tbsp
Oil - 3 tsp
Salt, to taste
1) Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies and saute till lightly browned. Add the tomato and fry for 2-3 minutes more with chilli powder.
2) Allow the above mixture to cool slightly and grind to a smooth paste.
3) Heat 1 tsp oil in the same pan and add a few pinches of salt. Fry the mushrooms in this till cooked.
4) Heat the last tsp of oil and add cumin seeds, add the ground paste and turmeric, salt and garam masala. Fry well. Add mushrooms and the milk and let this simmer for about 10-15 mins more for the flavours to absorb.
5) Garnish with Coriander leaves and serve.