Ginger Chutney - 2

My love for all things ginger can't be expressed sufficiently in words - a large chunk of it is smashed up and added to my daily tea and I typically incorporate it in most every dish I make. This is the second Ginger Chutney recipe on this blog but this version is quite different and something my MIL whipped up as an accompaniment to idlis/dosais. It was spicy, thick and delicious. The previous version however goes really well with rice.

GINGER CHUTNEY for Idlis/Dosas


Ingredients:

Ginger - 100 gms, peeled and chopped
Urad Dhal - 2 tbsp
Dried Red Chillies - 10 (yes this is a spicy chutney)
Tamarind - small piece
Jaggery - small piece
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp + 1 tsp (preferably Gingelly)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few

Method:
1) Heat 1 tbsp of oil and add the urad dhal , red chillies and ginger and roast on medium till golden & fried. Add the tamarind towards the end and switch off the stove.

2) Allow this to cool a bit and grind along with salt and jaggery to a paste with water as required.

3) Heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil and season with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Pour over the chutney and serve.

Comments

  1. Looks picy and tasty.. thanks for sharing.. nice clicks too.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm... a very different chutney, nice color

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chutney looks lovely with that nice & neat spread of a dollop.... But obvious tempting...... :-)

    Ash...
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge ginger fan as well, and love to make ginger chutney.. the picture looks enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love ginger..i will surely love this one..looks yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see u after a longtime. how r kids?
    never tried chutney out of ginger.sounds nice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love ginger chutney, looks yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laavanya, that looks sooooooooooo delish, lovely pic

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love ginger and use it quite often in my cooking. This chutney looks yummmmm!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We eat fresh ginger chutney with most tiffins, incl pesarattu.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chutney looks spicy and yum! I love ginger too and add it to my tea each day as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are not big fan of ginger chutney,but sure sounds appetizing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Lavanya, thanks for clearing my doubt & also for visiting my blog. Lov ethis chutney, new to me but I guess I'll give it a try as we love ginger.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. So mouthwatering. Looks so good. Nice recipe... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this savory chutney. Coconut is my favorite though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did not know that making Ginger chutney was so easy. We hoard on this chutney when we go to Indian buffetts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i have a big bounty of ginger, this looks like a lovely way to use up some of it. Thanks Lavanya

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks spicy and very good for digestion

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts