Batata (Aloo) Poha

This is a well loved, simple yet tasty dish that comes together really quickly and as I understand is something that is often made during fasting. Though this is not something that my mom made, I first tasted it when a neighbour of mine (who spent a lot of her younger years in several parts of North India) made it for me - yummy. Now, this is something I often make for my daughter & me to enjoy.

BATATA (Aloo) POHA


Ingredients:
Poha/Aval - 1 cup, (I use thick) rinsed, drained and allowed to rest for 10 to 15 mins
Onions - 1/4 cup, chopped (Optional)
Potato - 1 medium, boiled, peeled and cubed
Peas, Carrots - 1/4 cup each (Optional)
Green Chillies - 4 to 5 (to taste), slit vertically
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, chopped
Shredded coconut - 1 tbsp (optional)
Lemon juice - to taste (garnish)
Turmeric powder - half tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - half tsp
Cumin seeds - half tsp

Method:
1) Fluff the poha with a fork and ensure that they have softened. Be gentle with them.

2) Heat oil in a pan and season with mustard and cumin seeds, then toss in the onions and green chillies and saute. Next the veggies go in along with turmeric powder and salt. Saute until they get cooked. Sprinkle a little water and cover if they are too crunchy.

3) When the veggies are sauteed toss in the Poha along with 1 tbsp of the coriander leaves and stir gently until well coated with the masala. Taste and adjust seasonings.

4) Stir in the lemon juice and shredded cococnut. Yummy poha is now ready.


This is my 2nd entry to Mahima's 15 minute Cooking event which focusses on quick & tasty food.

Comments

  1. I love batata poha..my mom makes in similar way...pic looks yumm...brought back some good memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh..i love this!! the picture really makes it look soo very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potatoes make any dish look tempting, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love poha very much..batata poha looks delicious and very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow such a quick and yummy dish. ideal for breakfast and healthy too. perfect entry for the event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tasted the poha dish after coming to US! Simple & delicious to put together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks very yummy..I would love to have that whole bowl for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poha is such a to-go dish! I make it every time some one comes home and stays overnight. No hassle bfast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG look at those aloo pieces with poha mmm looks wickedly delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like poha a lot and make it very often.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too learned this from friends and I make a similar version of aloo poha too.. Yours looks so fresh and inviting laavanya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A regular breakfast dish at my place...looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love batata poha & my mum made it very often .. My husband is not too fond of potatoes in poha so I barely make it these days

    ReplyDelete
  14. good, new to me..have bookmarked it:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. my favo..looks yumm with the peas and all..

    ReplyDelete
  16. My poha used to be less than satisfactory, then I realised I had to let it rest longer because it was red poha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love poha that too with aloo ... very nice combo ....... try some time.........

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love poha and your photos are great. would love to have some poha tomorrow! hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous dish. Love the veggies in there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Lavanya, ur blog is really good.. u have got very unique and good collections. Will surely try some of ur recipes...

    Chandana

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks lovely! Love this recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thats a Sunday breakfast at my home,religiously every sunday...and if i make something else on sunday breakfast,hubby makes sure to have this for his Dinner..yeah he so much loves this.so i let him eat this in mornings,while me and kid simply relish Idly sambhar send in my my MIL every sunday...lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. yummmm.... love the vegetables... I love the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely..perfectly bowl of batata poha

    ReplyDelete
  25. perfectly made poha upma.. looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i love this poha.. looks great..nice click.. great breakfast dish..

    ReplyDelete
  27. this looks simple nd dlicious,..lovely click too,..

    ReplyDelete
  28. poha, and with potatoes, nothing like it! Love your recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  29. Poha looks divine .Its my favorite one...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Poha looks divine .Its my favorite one...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks gud...I love this too..nice pics

    ReplyDelete
  32. The color of the poha looks very pretty and the peas and potato add right crunch and flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you all for your sweet words of encouragement...

    Chandana, such a pleasant surprise to see your comment. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the color, I made a savoury dish with aval recently too, my first trial with aval. Turned out great, now I am looking for more stuff to make with Aval, this looks perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. One of my favorites, yours looks just perfect !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts